Well Tempered Amadeus Options

Hi Guys, As I'm avid WTL Classic fan and have owned over three different versions since '93 ending with a Classic MK V version last year. But after having a chance to hear the Amadeus at Don Better Audio in Cleveland Ohio this past November I've come to the realization that had I heard this table in Feburary of said year I know what would be residing on my stand right now. But my question is ask I only intend to do this one time.............., I'm in the position to get either the standard white ball version or the more upscale GTA version with the alumium plinth and black golf ball attachment that cost $3.700 here in the States where the basic one goes for $2.850!, as I've been following the trends here regarding this table in general I'm merely wondering which route have you guys taken?, and if there is in fact a better sound being rendered by the more costly unit?, or is it purely based upon overall appearance and little if anything to do with better Fidelity?. I merely wish to go this route one time and be done with it, so your opinions with more then likely be weighed quite heavily I might add. So fellow WTL owners please share your tales and tell me what's what!. Regards, Oscar
el34eh
Hi Oscar!
Good questions...
When A-B ing the two tables, it was very hard to hear any differeneces. We thought perhaps a bit more bass, but even that was inconclusive. Mostly cosmetics to me.
The DPS is designed and made by Opera of China, nothing to do with Ayre. It is better than the included wall wart and worth the $400. You'll hear it instantly.
As for cartridges, your budget. All mentioned will perform wonderfully.
Take care!
Hey Chashas, do you think using a power conditioner negates the benefit of the WLT upgraded power supply? The conditioners I use wouldn't be called "state of the art" (Panamax and Monster, both their "best models"). Reluctant to drop $400 bucks if the conditioner makes up for any deficiencies in the wall wart....

Any insight would be helpful...
Hi Paul,
Only from my limited experience with two power distribution sources, a Shunyata Talos and Shunyata Guardian Pro, and a power conditioner, a Panamax, I'd say no, the benefits of the Dps come thru regardless of what you plug it into. Those devices are affecting your system overall. The dps is doing something for the table that those devices won't.
Money well spent by those of us who already have.
Hi Guys, Once again I'd like to thank each and everyone of you, as it has made it easier for me to read between the lines on which options are worthwhile as well as going with the DPS Power Supply. I posted this inquiry on three different sites and just about everyone on each had their own views on what was what!, yet consensus is to go with the GTA model and the 20x2 as opposed to getting the standard version with an XXmk2, and in all honesty being someone whom sold Linn and Naim back in the day I totally understand/believe in the best source first rule followed by lesser components downstream. It's merely a no brainer and seeming that it's my last time doing this - why not go all out and not have to rethink my choice down the road and be thinking - what if?. Once again here's hoping each one of you and your loved ones the very best for the Holidays and lets just hope we're able to see beyond 12-21-2012!. Peace, Oscar
Hmm, I haven't had a chance to hear my XX-2 mkII that is being rebuilt by Soundsmith, but my impression is that the GTA difference I very minimal whereas many seem to think the upgrade from the. 20X2L to XX-2 is a big one (incl Don Better IIRC). And I don't see anyone in this thread saying that the GTA is a big sonic upgrade? Where are you finding this concensus you refer to? I'd be interested in seeing those impressions.