How good does a TT have to be for a good cartridge

I have often wondered would you get good sound from a really good cartridge on a decent but not super good table. I am not an analog fanatic. I do own two fairly basic modern tables. One is a plain VPI Scout and the other a Music Hall MMF 5. Could I expect great sound from either one with a very high caliber cartridge that might cost lets say $3-5K . Is this an example of not being able to put lipstick on a pig?
mechans
The JMW-9 will never optimize the XV-1s.

"A tonearm's gotta know its' limitations".

-credit to Inspector Callahan
The XV-1s is a GREAT CARTRIDGE. It could be your preference to the Blackbird but you might think differently about the XV-1s with a different setup. Maybe the Blackbird is a better match with the JMW 9.
Mechans, I'm curious what decision you made after reading all the answers and the results?
If I had a chance to buy an inexpensive music hall 7 with intentions to upgrade the arm, which drop-in arm (if any) would you go with? Any wiring upgrades? I would use the mmf 7 with a music hall cruise control on a wall bracket shelf and a jasmine 2.0 mkll phono preamp with either an ortofon 2m blue or mc-3 turbo. TIA!
One thing I discovered recently that suprised me was how much difference a tonearm makes. I have a Basis 2000 turntable that came with a Basis modified Rega arm.

I recently replaced the Rega arm with a Basis Vector 3 arm and the improvement was stunning. No looking for small changes or careful listening involved at all. It was so much better in every way it was almost impossible to believe.

My advice is to upgrade to the best drop in arm you can afford. With that table I assume it will be a Rega type or a Jelco.