Changing from Vinyl to Digital in Brave New World

This is bound to provoke some reactions, and I purposely posted in the analog forum since the digital forum is probably preaching to the converted.
(Maybe I don't want to make the change but enough self-analysis). I've owned and played vinyl since the mid-60's and have had numerous good to great rigs over the years, currently running something that is state of the art, big Kuzma table/Lamms/Avantgarde horns. I still have an old pair of Quad 57's which need restoration and a pair of Crosby Quads that haven't seen a charge since I bought the Avantgardes. And, anywhere from 6-8 thousand records.
Here's the question. I retired recently, and am planning to move (to Austin) where I will continue to work at what I love (ahem, it's music business, but that doesn't have anything to do with quality reproduction, I'm sorry to say).
Chances are, I will go from a big dedicated room to having virtually no space, and while I could store all this equipment and records, I'm just not sure it makes sense. (No this is not a subliminal ad for my record collection, not yet, anyway).
So, I'm struggling here with what to do, systemwise. Let's assume that I want small, in the sense of not taking up physical space, and I don't have room for all the vinyl, so I have to go 'digital.' And, to make it really challenging, I'm not going to do a complex system- maybe a very good pair of stereo speakers that don't take up much room, a good integrated (I've been using tubes since the early 70's but if I'm willing to go this far, wouldn't rule out something solid state) and a digital source- everything I've read seems to suggest that good digital sources are in a state of flux, and the standards for hi rez digital files are not fully settled. So I guess the main import of the question has to do with sources other than vinyl- i never really liked CDs for the home but could cope with computer audio if I don't have to spend my time reformatting files. Lastly, I could (and still plan) to refurbish the old Quads at some point, just because they are so iconic and could run them with the ML 2 Lamms, some OTLs or something less esoteric (Atmasphere 60's). But would be interested in views, from the analog crowd. (Let's not use this as a dump on digital thing since that won't help me sort out my thoughts).
TIA.

Bill hart
128x128whart
Hi, well, this will either cost some money or be tough to leave your vinyl behind.

The top of the line digital gear out now is pretty darn good. I recently purchased a dCS Scarlatti and it's ability to deliver music in a natural presentation (what I love about my vinyl front end) is mesmerizing. I won't make you forget about your vinyl, but it will make you not worry about it...and maybe listen more b/c less to fool with...

Austin has a great dCS dealer btw...
My advice - don't do it. There are lots of great record stores in the Austin area!
Bill: something about your post kinda hit me in the gut and prompted me to offer my thoughts, probably because this change, for me, would be huge. First, I challenge your space restrictions. Downsizing to that degree is scary! I recommend that you next evaluate your emotional attachment to your records and decide if you really can part with all of them. Even if you want to keep your favorite 100 LPs, that sends you in a direction which requires you to keep some kind of TT rig, thus requiring space for it and the records. I don't think that I could give up my vinyl and TT willingly. I recently became re-acquainted with my vinyl after parting for nearly 3 years, due to a long, extensive home renovation, which left me using a very small space for my rig. I used only CD and stored my TT and records. But I was able to use a space of about 8 feet wide and 3 feet deep for quite a nice setup, including TV. Alternatively, without a TV, a 5-shelf rack with TT on top is very efficient nd would allow both CDP and TT. But, when I started playing my LPs again, it was like having my favorite child return home after a long time away. I don't know how else to describe it. I do admit to having a much nicer TT rig than my Rega Saturn CDP, but quality of playback was not the only thing that struck me. Try doing a series of sketches to properly scale the space needed for a down-sized rig, and see if it is feasible with your space, and if it leaves you with any room to grow. One more thing I will offer: Your system is so nice, that if you do downsize, you may always be tempted to ramp up again in some fashion, which also requres space. Instead of a CDP, you may find yourself assembling a multiple-component digital playback system and heading back in the same old direction, just using a new format. If you are looking for a new way to spend your time in retirement, assembling a huge digital music library would be one way. And it would definitely take up less space than vinyl. Best of luck.
Rip CDs to music server on your computer or laptop.

Use Squeezebox Touch to access server or internet radio, Pandora, etc. via Wifi and play. Add an ouboard DAC if needed to get the ultimate sound.

Keep a backup of ripped files in case needed. CDs can be stored away as needed once ripped.

Very compact and efficient way to listen to music.

You have put a large investment in your vinyl music collection. I'd think twice about dumping that if any option not to. Even if you do not listen to records as often, they will probably only increase with value over time, so an investment for the future perhaps at the very least.