Tonearm: Phantom vs. 4 Point vs. 10.5

Hi

I'm planning on upgrading my tonearm. My analoge setup is:
TW-Acoustic Raven One with Kuzma Stogi arm and Lyra Delos.

I'm interested in theese 3 arms:

Graham Phantom III: It gets good recomendations, also on the Raven One.

TW-Acoustic Raven 10.5: It is from the same manufactor as my turntable, so they should match.

Kuzma 4 Point: Because i have Kuzma and like the quality of it and because Michael Fremer said: I'm in love.

What can you say about these arms (sound) and witch will you recomend for my turntable.

Pierre
pierre1976
Well, as the designer of the Graham arms, I couldn't resist answering this one! If Pierre's situation would be at all like mine, I have the very excellent TW-Acustic AC-1. This is one fine product, and the Phatnom fits very well on it and sounds, as you'd expect me to say, excellent. The other arms would no doubt be great, too, but before anyone gets too carried away:

As for those comments about "synergy", be aware that a given turntable manufactuer may NOT provide the optimium tonearm, even for their own turntable. The reason for that is that it's more than name alone that makes the difference; it's how it's designed that will tell. Although I designed the original Phantom on an SME-30, the intention was to cover as wide a range as possible for performance. The feedback from SME users who have made the switch has, happily, confirmed that our homework was right. (And to be really immodest about this, we've had similar notes from users of other good tables who make arms (Basis and VPI, to name two) with the same results. It's very gratifying.

This is NOT to say that the other tonerms aren't good; merely that the synergy that Syntax refers so strongly to is not necessarily going to be found with one brand-name.

It'a all well and good to be supportive of a favorite, but then again, if a dealer supports one brand and not the other,then proceed carefully. Too often, the parting words of a well-respected reviewer can be the call-to-arms for any media-obsessed audiophile, and to hell with any other input. The words of member Essentialaudio suggest this is a factor.

OK, so I have to put up or shut up, and I remember an ad from many years ago which went something like this: "We would like to suggest, as soberly as we can, that the Phantom SUPREME be compared, on an even playing field, with any other tonearm available at any price." With all due respect for many of the others (and that's a sincere compliment) I believe you will find that the Supreme really will provide you with excellent synergy with just about any fine turntable out there, even the Kuzma and, in my own experiences, the SME and TW-Acustic.
Good wishes to all, and just WAIT for our next announcement (no, not another upgrade for the tonearm), by the way...!
- Bob Graham (Graham Engineering)
Bob,

I assume you have a turntable in the works. And as far as synergy, would you not agree the synergy is more important with the cartridge than the turntable?
My Benz LP-S with Phantom Supreme on Clearaudio Innovation Wood is the definition of synergy. Btw the Supreme is supremely better than my previous Phantom II. Hats off to Bob Graham.
I am using Graham Arms since Model 2.2, sometimes it was my only Arm,
sometimes it was one among others but when I wanted to know what a Arm
really can do, a Graham Arm was always on my Table when I made my
comparisons [and a lot bite the Dust, there are various reasons for it, one is,
that Design is done right :-) ].
In all those years when I had conversations with Importers or Manufacturers of
other Arms, EVERYONE (no exception) told me, of course they made
comparisons with other Arms and specially with a Graham Phantom and their
Arm is MUCH, MUCH better.
That is ok. Later I made my comparisons (... with Kuzma 4P & others) and most,
really most, are so inferior that I seriously think, there are more than a few out
there who can't hear any difference at all. I mean, most ( there are exceptions
and of course, everyone has exactly THAT exception) look for sonic
compensation (more Bass is highly regarded, or 'Synergy', whatever this means),
or they get something for a good price (that can increase Performance
significantly) or they think, when something sounds different, it is better
anyway.... :-)
The Phantom has no sonic coloration, no sonic fingerprint, when the System is
up to the Task, the Purity of Tone is remarkable (Kuzma 4P is a total different
chapter here). I know a few who prefer other designs, because they
"like" it more but in reality the Phantom simply shows, where the
problem in the chain is. Some analog Users are not able to accept sonic truth
and they look for a compensation, something which makes analog more 'warm',
more cosy, more lovely (that's the area of the wood ones) and when the owner
'likes' it, it is of course better. But in reality it is different but hardly better. I
learned a lot about the ability of Arms, what they can do or not and the Design
from Graham can make life pretty simple. No distortions in the inner tracks,
stable even with warped records, a good calculated geometry, a superior
alignment System, the right cable material, it works superior with a lot of
different cartridges and so on and on.
Probably it is worth a try to get the benchmark. :-)
The last of the serious ones in our modern time.