Empire EDR9 users: Need advice

Since yesterday, I am also on the Empire club. Just received my NOS EDR9 cartridge. Needless to say I was inspired by Raul's thread. Unfortunately I dont have a phonostage to support 100 kohm loading impedance, mine is standard at 47 kohm. I am tracking at the recommended 1.5 grams. I have set the phonostage gain for 5mv. Am I doing okay with all these settings ?

What is the break-in period for this cartridge (it was bought NOS) ? Currently it sounds nice but closed-in.
pani
I can't believe you haven't tried the Benz LPS.....the best cartridge I have ever heard.
Hello Pani, Is the Empire EDR9 sounding better, or still closed in? I have not heard that particular Empire.

Another very good Empire is the 1000ze/x. I got mine for around $150 from a Balkan friend ;^) . The Empire 4000dlll can be found every now and then for $300 to $400 but getting more expensive due to its well deserved reputation.

Good luck,
I purchased the EDR9-COPY which uses the OEM body with a JICO stylus (model 239-DSH) with a bonded Shibata tip. It can be assumed this replacement stylus does not have the sophisticated internal "tuned tube" to mechanically compensate for the system resonance. I want to shed some light on some issues I discovered while setting up this cartridge with this replacement stylus.

I used the Mint protractor to accurately align the EDR9-COPY on a Technics 1200MKII arm (w/KAB fluid damper and silver internal wire). The tracking force was at 1.2g. I was less than thrilled and after a run-in of about 25 hours, declared the cartridge not worthy of company to my DL-160, MMC2, 681EEE-III. I experienced diminished bass, harsh highs, IGD, narrow soundstage yet a small band in the mids showed promise.

After several months I tried the EDR9-COPY again. This time, I focused on why I was getting poor tracking and breakup on the lead-out grooves. VTA is where I began and I noticed two things. I very closely inspected the vertical tracking angle and stylus rake angle. The cantilever looked to be at 40 degrees instead of 20-25. The diamond tip (stylus rake angle), instead of 90-92 deg. was actually more like 110 degrees. The other thing I noticed was that at 1.2 grams tracking, the cantilever hardly budged when lowering the needle. This cannot be close the the OEM's compliance.

I dropped the arm height all the way (now it is noticeably tail-down) and tried VTF at 2.2 grams. I now have a totally different cartridge - for the better. I ended up with VTF at 2.5 and will gradually lower it after more break-in.

Before, I had a noisy cartridge without "body" and tone, weak drooping bass, limited and hazy highs, and a lack of coherence. Now, I have a cartridge that is quieter in the groove than my AT33PTG/II and MMC2. It is now coherent from deep bass (that showed up to great effect) through the upper limit of my (~16,500 Hz) hearing. No sibilance at all. The midrange is very smooth and engaging. Transparency is happening in a big way. I was ready to sell this cart...now I cannot.
Still working to get the best sound from this cartridge. More time spent spinning vinyl has left me frustrated. I slowly lowered the VTF since the upper bass was too dominant and finding the highs recessed. When I reach VTF around 1.7 the bass starts weakening and the hazy highs return. Sibilance starts to creep in ever so slightly.

I have concluded two possible explanations: this cart is not a good match with my arm AND/OR the stylus is manufactured improperly. The rake angle is severe on this sample.

The only two options I have are to mount the cart on a different arm and shim the cart in order to attain a SRA closer to 90-92 degrees.
The EDR9 is a nice MM cart. However I didnt have the right tonearm for it. My 47 Labs tonearm is too heavy for this cart. Next I plan to install a Naim ARO. Hope that will do better with EDR9.

One thing I agree in general, there is a grace that MM carts present with music which MC carts lack!!
I need to try a Decca London sometime.