Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
Wouldn't it be interesting if the only tables to pass the 'Timeline' test were all 30 years old?
Halcro,

Yep, but that won't happen. A lot of new ones pass, but the surprise is which ones.

Some old ones don't pass, however. I built a DIY turntable around eight years ago that started life as a Lenco. It runs a little less than 1/4 RPM too fast no matter what I do, so after a frustrating hour wasted I quit tinkering with it. I could never get the wheel placed accurately enough to correct the issue, as minor as it may be. It's dead on according to the KAB Speedstrobe, so I suppose it is close enough. Maybe I'll revisit it someday.

The real problem is with those turntables out there that do not keep a consistent speed. It is one thing to have an ever so slight speed issue that is evenly paced, but quite another when it varies, especially if it varies abruptly.

Mosin,
A lot of new ones pass, but the surprise is which ones.
This sounds like you could already produce a list for us? :-)
I have checked a few, but mostly I have checked motors that are commonly used. I was surprised.
Well, I'm going to put my vote in for the Trans Fi Audio Salvation direct rim drive tt (with Terminator T3Pro linear tracking tonearm).
I'd been running a belt drive Michell Orbe/SME V for 10 years, and investigation of uber pricey belt drives like the SME 20/30, TW Acustic AC3, Brinkmann La Grange /Balance etc showed an incremental improvement, but not enough to go with the upgrade. And, this in tts costing $20000-$40000.
But I then came across the Salvation, and wow!
I'm NEVER likely to go back to belt. I'm getting a unique combination of the best of analogue ie bloom and tonality, with an almost digital-like accuracy and neutrality.
It's unlike anything else I've heard when playing vinyl.
Getting away from belt related speed drift really produces a fantastic unwavering solidity to music, most noticeable on rock solid piano notes, even as they decay away in the soundstage, and no audible wow and flutter as lp side end approaches. Previously I would always be aware of fluctuations as piano played, especially individual notes, but not anymore, and often I'll be suprised that I haven't picked up on side end groove modulation as the stylus plays the last few seconds of the end of sides.
I've run a thread on the tt/arm giving a more in depth appraisal of my experience.