SP10 MK3 recommendation

So I'm in the process of upgrading my analog set up. I just bought Albert's SP10 MK3 and I'm trying to decide on arm/cart combo. I'm freaking out a little because I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

My current arm from my last set up is a 10.5" Reed 2P. I might stay with this arm to start with, but I see a lot of 12" arms on the Technics tts so I'm not sure about the length. I'm also trying to decide on which cartridge. I'm leaning towards the Lyra Atlas or Airt Tight Supreme.

My current system is VAC Sig. IIa preamp and VAC Phi 300.1a amp. Speakers are Margules Grand Orpheus with Acuton (ceramic) drivers. SR ICs and Pranawire speaker cables.

So I'm looking for feedback about Reed arms with the SP10 tables and especially 10.5" arms.

Also looking for thoughts on synergy of Reed arms and the two cartridges mentioned above and in the context of the rest of my system.

Here's to a great (sounding) 2013 to all!
128x128mikeba316
Dear Mikeba316: I agree with Lewm, the more important subject is the tonearm/cartridge combination. On which TT?, it almost does not matters at all always that the TT be a " decent " one as your MK3.

Why do you need a new cartridge when you own the Puritas?, is something wrong with or it is only that you are whealty enough to try a new expensive one even if maybe will be a different but not really better performer that what you own?

If you want to try a different cartridge sound maybe the Colibri is a good alternative before the ones you name it here and for a lot less money.

Oh yes, the Colibri is not the " new kid on the blok " but I can tell you that those new " kids " have a very high challenge to beat the Colibri and IMHO your Reed tonearm could be a very good match for it.

In the other side and if I was you my first move could be to change the phono stage for a better non-tube ( especially with LOMC cartridges. IMHO: Phono stage is the worst place for use tubes and even worst with the ones using step-up transformers. If you decide for one of this units then it does not matters which cartridge/tonearm combination you choosed because you never know how that cartridge really performs.! ) one and please don't take for sure the advise of audio items seller. Which seller can speaks bad of what he have on sale?

The Phonolinepreamp IMHO is almost important as the cartridge/tonearm match, even more important than the TT.

You have several alternatives to improve your audio system quality performance level.

Money is always important but more important is the knowledge level on what to do and why.

Your actions IMHO must be " induced " by your specific music/sound targets/priorities and not because this or that item is the latest expensive one to " impress " other people. First than all think on what you want, think how to meet/even your references.

Well, only an opinion.

regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Raul, There is more than one way to skin a cat. Each phono stage topology has it's pluses and minuses. SS phono stages usually employ negative feedback to achieve their low noise floor. IMO this is the worst place to employ NFB. Each to their own. Ideally everyone should listen and decide for themselves which they prefer. I have not heard every SS phono stage out there so there may be one I prefer to my Allnic H3000 but I have not found it yet. I agree that SUT's are a compromise but so is NFB.
Mikeba316,

not trying to get off topic but just replying.

Have you roled any of the tubes in your Vac? specially in the phono section? If not you should.

I've heard the Alnic, both individules you mention do have financial interest in the product and have completely different set-ups than you and just their opinion. I personally know many whom prefer other phono's over the Alnic, I prefer others such as FM Acoustic, Kondo, Boulder and lastly the Burmester to just name a few and I have no financial interest.

Burmester is getting allot of praise lately specially from owners of these other phono's and comparing, saying it's now their preference but in the end it still comes down to your own taste.

Reed, reading above Lewm appears to be very happy with his which doesn't surprise me, great arm!

If it were my choice I would go with the Atlas paired up with your current Reed, if you don't like the Atlas keep me in mind to purchase it from you. :)
Kuzma 4Point. I have one on my SP10 MK II. Trounces the SME 312S in terms of dynamics and clarity.
Dear Sarcher30: +++++ " There is more than one way to skin a cat.... "

agree with you but that's not my point because IMHO the use of tube/sut on phono stages is the wrong and worst way to " skin that cat ".

About the NFB I can tell you that several today SS designs do not use it any more but that NFB subject does not determine perse a phono stage quality performance level but its overall/whole design and design execution.

For you can understand my statements about maybe is important that you analize and understand which are the cartridge signal needs to when that signal passed through a phonolinepreamp process of degradation this degradation be the lower one, this is: to add the less and lose the less. IMHO there is no contest against a good SS design.

That many persons prefer tubes/suts does not means is right that only means that the AHEE made it very good job teaching we " ignorant " audiophiles that tubes/suts is the way to go when that same AHEE knows for sure are wrong!!!

Please return a little on the time and read what was the scenario/stage when appeared the LOMC cartridges and then you will understand what I'm posting here.

Now, in this regards as in many other audio regards my position almost always is not what is my preferences or other people preferences but what is wrong or what is " right " against very specific references/standars as: accuracy, neutrality, dynamics, the feeling of the music power as we have on live events and to hear and feel the natural agresiveness that live music has.

What you or me prefer has nothing to do with that because our normally self " ears colorations " are a by-product not of live music but a by-product of the time that we lived hearing music in the wrong way through our audio systems: many of us have ears and brain equalized in the wrong way. Time to change: don't you think?, just for fun!!!!

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.