Is DSD download already an extinct format?

I recently purchased a Benchmark DAC 2 which supports DSD decoding following an article from Robert Hartley indicating that Sony would release all of its music catalog in DSD download format. As of today, there are only 358 DSD downloads available from Acoustic Sounds. On average the DSD downloads is music that is 30-45 years old...you know the same stuff you already own in CD, DVD-audio, SACD. Just getting tired of purchasing Getz/Gilberto in all formats.

Record companies, please give us the new music in Hi-rez format rigth off the bat and stop giving us the better resolution years later!
128x128dasign
Tomcy6, I'm glad to read what you say, but I think now SONY and every corporation is concerned only with the bottom line. But I do hope like you that the SONY Quad DSDs will see public availability or at least double DSD will be available. I should say that I have many of my SACDs in DSD on my music server and can play them as double DSD. They are clearly better than the SACDs played on a universal player.
08-25-14: Tbg
Melbguy, what does the "new white bread" mean? Good or bad?
That was just tongue in cheek Tbg ;) You know me, i'm in for a penny, in for a pound! Actually i'm delaying ordering my next cdp until they finish a new DSD USB board.
Sony's problem is not that they are greedy, it is that they are tactically stupid. The beauty of capitalism, done right, is that it is a win-win proposition. The company, its employees, its stockholders, and its customers all benefit. So much for the economic viewpoints of Brownsfan.

I received the CD corollary of the native DSD Appalachian Journey album, and uploaded wav, ALAC, AIFF, and MP3 files of the Cloverfoot Reel track (redbook) for comparison with the native DSD file supplied with the HAPZ1. As I expected, the native DSD file was better (across the board) than the redbook CD files uploaded in the 4 formats, then converted on the fly to 2x DSD by the Sony. But--- the difference was not profound. There was more sweetness in the violin, more edge in Ma's cello, better depth in the double bass, but it was not an overwhelming difference. I've heard far more difference from redbook cd to redbook cd. I paid $7 for the CD shipped, vs $25 for the DSD download.

Now, if I didn't have a machine that converted to DSD on the fly, what would the difference be, and would it warrant 3.5 x the cost of a CD? Tomorrow, I will compare the 4 transferred files with the DSD engine turned off, and see what that reveals.

Sony music is again not paying careful attention to what the Sony ES division is doing. Come on, guys, we are not idiots. Release your native DSD files, make a couple bucks over what you make on CDs, and we will all be happy. I'm pretty sure you will net more based on volume than what you are doing now. Forget trying to save your ancient treasures and focus on your current offerings, some of which are excellent.

Or, you can kill one more strategic initiative that deserves to succeed with a business plan that won't fly.

Just glad the ES guys have their act together.
Sony is coming off a colossal failure in terms of mainstream acceptance...SACD...even when they attempted a hybrid CD layer...point being...Sony will probably drag its feet in terms of hi rez again....the real market is the non dsd Downloads...most non audiophiles are happy with "a" download...and I don't see the advantage...of Quad DSD if that is the case...that seems like an odd choice...but Sony does some odd decisions