To those with multiple tables/arms/cartridges

How do you 'play' your system?
For 30 years I had only one turntable, one arm and one cartridge......and it never entered my mind that there was an alternative?
After upgrading my turntable nearly 5 years ago to a Raven AC-3 which allowed easy mounting of up to four tonearms......I decided to add two arms.
RAVEN
A few years later I became interested in Direct Drive turntables and purchased a vintage 30 year old Victor/JVC TT-81 followed shortly after by the top-of-the-line TT-101 and I designed and had cast 3 solid bronze armpods which I had lacquered in gloss black.
TT-101
By this time I had over 30 cartridges (both LOMCs and MMs) all mounted in their own headshells for easy interchange.
STORAGE

Every day I listen to vinyl for 3-4 hours and might play with one cartridge on one arm on one table for this whole day or even two or three days.
I then might decide to change to a different arm and cartridge on a the same table or perhaps the other.....and listen to the last side I had just heard on the previous play.
I am invariably thrilled and excited by the small differences in presentation I am able to hear....and I perhaps listen to this combination for the next few days before again lusting after a particular arm or cartridge change?

Is this the way most of you with multiple cartridges/arms listen?......or are there other intentions involved?
128x128halcro
I'm always surprised and mildly amused by those who seem to define it as a mission to find the one truth.
Glad to have been of service, if only mildly!
I don't know what an audiophile is supposed to be. In an ideal world where all recordings are made equal and there are no evil or incompetent recording label/studio/engineer, all recordings are made with absolute transparency and fidelity, honest to the musician's sound, then I could see myself with single source, single system that is totally transparent and have absolutely no sonic signature of its own and let the recordings do all the speaking and singing!
Unfortunately I am not in that world. There are some recordings that will sound great in absolutely transparent system. On the other hand, there are some great music on recordings that will just rear its ugly head when you expose it ruthlessly. I don't know of any cartridge/arm/table combination that can ruthlesly reveal all the glory of well made record but at the same time, forgiving the less than perfect recording that are great music wise. Some recording can benefit from a little bit more warmth, has piercing treble that can benefit from a bit more roll off top. Some are so good that you don't want any coloration from the equipment to interfere.
I suppose, if I only care about the sound, I can just toss the bad recordings away and end up listening to a few selected sonic spectacular recording through my single source system. However, I want to listen to great music and sometimes, some of those recordings may benefit from slightly different coloration/presentation by different setup.
I don't believe any of us who enjoys multiple turntables/arms/cartridges has equated that with 'audiophilia'.....nor has any of them here, proclaimed this peccadillo as a means to 'superior sound'?

The only one who has brought this into discussion is Syntax who I think is being slightly self deprecating if you view his published 'system'?
To reach the Nirvana of :
The most impressive Systems I listened to in the last 15 years
He only has to sell 2 of his 3 turntables, 2 of his 3 phono-stages, 2 of his 3 amps, 2 of his 3 arms plus his 2 extra armwands and 7 of his 8 cartridges?

Perhaps that is what he meant by
I am working on it still...
:-)
However, I want to listen to great music and sometimes, some of those recordings may benefit from slightly different coloration/presentation by different setup..

When we will follow that idea we have to look into the Past, too.
Most ratings from the top records (printed in books) Decca/London, Living Stereo, Mercury were written in the early 90's. And with what combination? Mainly with Linn LP12, a highly colored table, with real weak abilities in the higher and lower frequencies, a midrange pusher.
When we think about those ratings seriously we have to say (or I say that) nearly all ratings need to be rewritten because some ratings in Recording, Reproduction, Soundstage, color of tone have serious different results today. Don't get me wrong, a top record is still a top record but a lot with 12/10/14 rating from max. 20/20/20 are seriously better than that.
On the other side, vinyl today from a digital mixing desk, without any naturalness, do you need a 30k Phonostage, 10k cart for that? I don't think so, the only goal is maybe finding something which doesn't make you cry and that's it. But that is my opinion about.