Rega RP10 VTA shims

I am sure this applies to the RP8 as well. But I have an RP10 and bought two of the 2mm shims to accommodate the VTA of a Kleos cartridge. My dilemma is that the single shim does tighten the bass to where i prefer but the highs and mids drift from what I prefer. With both shims the highs and mids are, in my opinion, exactly what I want, but the bass control starts to slip away. Does any one know of a 3mm shim? I think that would bring everything into line. I will experiment with tracking force, but am reluctant to drift to far from 1.75 which was ideal on my old LP12. I looked at Acoustic Signature but this are drilled for the RP6 which uses a smaller screw. Also I am considering the Groove Tracer counterweight, but I really don't see that as the correct solution for this issue, but rather a tweak once the VTA is corrected. So my question is, anyone have an RP8 or 10 that has come across this issue and have you found a different supplier of shims for the Rega. I have thought about filing my extra 2mm down but realize I cannot maintain a perfectly flat surface.
128x128theo
Of the cartridges are returned to us nominally because the owner feels that the stylus or suspension is worn or damaged, frequently the problem is stylus buildup that prevents the stylus from touching the LP groove properly...
Bingo! This mirrors my (much smaller) experience exactly. I've "saved" over a dozen supposedly worn out ZYX cartridges sent to me for a quick look just by cleaning the stylus properly. That's all they needed to sound as good as new. If you aren't cleaning your stylus after every side (Jcarr's recommendation to me, many years ago) you aren't hearing all it's capable of.
I have observed that the Rega Tonearm + Rega cartridge have a positive VTA (a pivot end raised slightly ) . So, we can not consider only the cartridge height to determine how many shims we should use to adjust the VTA in a Rega Turntable when using a cartridge from other brand. It will vary from cartridge to cartridge. Actually, the measure we should be worried about is the SRA. Much more important than the VTA which at the end is one of the ways we will utilize to try to achieve the optimum SRA adjustment.
jcarr,

can you comment (similar to the kleos) on the height of the delos cartridge? is it 17.43mm as well? i'm trying to dial in the vta for mine on a rp10 as well.

cheers,
- j
Hi Vinylkid: These days I try to keep the height and stylus-to-mounting-screws distance as similar as possible across all of our cartridges.

I just looked at my CAD drawings, and according to those, the height range of the Delos should fall between 17.377 and 17.48mm.

hope this helps!

kind regards, jonathan carr
Vinylkid, I took Mr. Carr's advice to the first step and bought 3.5mm in shims but yet to have had one made at the 3.43 as suggested due to time and budget. But I have been very pleased with the VTA setting for my Kleos. I wonder as well if the .57mm will make enough difference since vinyl thickness varies as well. It is unfortunate that Rega doesn't accommodate a more practical method of VTA adjustment, but I believe their cartridges provide optimum performance. So offering easy adjustment may be viewed as contradiction. Just my opinion of course.
One observation with my setup, I would pass along is, that this table is sensitive to the surface. My cabinet is an older hollow body cabinet and I realized a "guitar body" resonance in the upper bass/lower mid range. I am using the Aurio's with an MDF cored platform from my LP12 and this has eliminated that issue. However I am going to use a maple cutting board once I get it completed and hope to further the progress.
I would be curious what you are finding with your table.
Regards
Theo