Rega owners

RP1 plus performance upgrades or RP3? I want to spend around $6-7 hundred but might be willing to go up to the RP3 if it is worth it. Thanks
wildoats
Wildoats-If your a DIY guy and don't mind vintage gear you have many options. If you want a new table the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon($399)appears to be the best value in new budget tables. I have not heard Carbon Debut but have heard other lower cost Pro-Ject tables and they offer alot of value. The Rega RP3($895) in stock form is not a great value. After all the RP3 upgrades you would be better off getting a used P7 which would still outperform the maxed out RP3.
RP3 in a heartbeat Wildoats,

There is little upgradeable path with the RP1. However, there is almost infinite upgradeable path with the RP3. The RP3 is (IMHO) in a league of its own. Fast, detailed, superb dynamics, taut bass, with uncanny PRaT!

The new tech is simply superb. Comparable to P7 standards.

No brainier.
I have a REGA RP3 with a custom aluminum 3mm shim from Groove Tracer. Also, bought the reference sub platter, Acrylic platter and a Mapleshade vibration kit.Also, the upgraded Rega belt. Everyone of these upgrades elevated the table a lot. The RP3 is now super dead quiet and spins effortlessly on the sapphire and Cz bearing. I can now use a record clamp! It makes a world of difference, (JA Mitchel). The best cartridge match I can find for the RB301 is the Dynavector 10X5. This combo works best ...Full dynamics,bass,highs are sweet and effortless, midrange is full and rich with detail and accuracy. I could go on for a while....Total money spent on this Rega RP3 is $2000, with Cartridge! All I know is I would have to jump up to a 5k rig to get better sound. Now that's value!