How important is a good rack?

I have a really nice turntable and some good equipment overall.

I have it sitting in a Michael Green just a rack., It's the entry level with the thinner shelves. I noticed it's not super sturdy if I bump into it it tends to wobble. If I am playing a record it skips. I have an older AR suspension turntable and I can walk all around the rack and it doesn't. I guess what I'm wondering does a rack need to be rigid?

Some rack suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott
52tiger
Good is always better than bad.

A good installation means components including speakers sit on a solid foundation that is resistant to vibrations and movement. So whatever the stuff is resting on should provide that. Can be a bench, shelf, rack, whatever one prefers. Does not have to be pretty or fancy. Those are aesthetics which is important but has nothing to do with performance.

Also teh floor that things rest on is part of the foundation and often the only foundation in place in the case of floor standing speakers. One has little control over this but should be aware that the floor is a big determining factor nonetheless. With most modern consruction houses, lower floors will tend to provide a more solid foundation. First floor directly on houses foundation concrete slab is the best. So take that all for what its worth in each case.

ALso keep in mind that the higher off the floor components are located, the more susceptable to movement and vibrations they are so that ups the ante for teh build quality of the "furniture" needed.

I put my best gear on a low standing solid wood bench on teh lowest level of the house. The concrete foundation and low profile of teh solidly constructed wood bench provides a most solid foundation for everything and the sound quality reflects that accordingly.

So the general rule is to keep everything as close to the ground as possible in order to provide the best foundation. Ther further away from taht you are, the harder it may be to achieve similar results.