Sakura Systems OTA Cable Kit

Has anyone tried this "minimalist" cable kit? After receiving a recommendation from someone with similar musical values to myself, and whose ears I trust, I could not resist ordering one. I will report on how they sound in a few weeks, but am interested in others' opinions too.

For those that have not heard about them look at www.sakurasystems.com for an interesting read. The cable sounds as if it is very close to the specification of the conductors in Belden Cat5. So I may have spent around 100 times what the kit is worth. We shall see.

If you have not heard this cable, please don't bother posting your opinions of how it MUST sound here. Nor am I that interested in hearing how stupid I must be to order this kit - it's my money and you are free to make different decisions with yours. Sorry for this condition, but I am bored with those that have nothing positive to offer on this site, and post their opinions based on deductive logic rather than actual experience.
redkiwi
Dekay, sead: your exchange has inspired me to get back on this forum in a more empirical fashion. The main purpose of this post is to report on a recent OTA experiment I performed.
Purpose: The aim of the experiment was to find out if a 47 Labs OTA phono cable could improve upon previous phono cables in my system (e.g. Fadel Art Reference One Phono, Coincident CST Interconnect, Ortofon AC-5000 Silver, NBS Signature and Statement).
Apparatus: Two 25 cm lengths of OTA were made up. (47 Labs endorses short signal lengths, and I chose to reduce the length of my phono cable by more than 1/4th in agreement.)
Procedure: After 100 hours of break-in, the OTA phono cable was installed between a Simon Yorke S 9 turntable (with Temper Transfiguration Supreme cartridge) and a 47 Labs Phonocube.
Observations: It was very easy to hear immediately that this was the best phono cable I had ever had in my system. More space, instruments were better separated, they sounded larger, more independent, more solid; rhythms flowed better; voices were felt as if the body of the singer were present in the room; low-level detail and dynamic energy was much better than any of the cables listed above: subjectively I had the impression for the first time of being at a live performance. However, I noticed that the installation of this small phono cable had altered the timbre of the whole system: my VAIC monoblocks now had a gutsy, slightly distorted quality more like Jadis. And then, in between songs I recognized that the system was picking up stray radio-frequency interference: its level was low, but annoying. My analogue set-up was now picking up a German FM radio station around 106 MHz, which specialized in kitsch jazz vocalists!
Other signs (intermittent "pong-sounds" from the Phonocube) indicated that the OTA phono cable was picking up sufficient radio-frequency energy that audio rectification (overdrive of the input stage of the PhonoCube by stray radio frequency fields, resulting in the production of interference) was taking place. In my particular case, the RF interference could be eliminated by regrounding the turntable, but returned whenever the turntable or pickup arm was touched again. Not wanting to tamper with the PhonoCube, I rejected the idea of installing a RF choke into the phono stage circuitry. (This can normally be done by connecting a small LC parallel-resonant circuit trap in series with the base lead of the input transistor, or even a small coil tuned to parallel resonance with the RF signal.) Enclosing the turntable set-up in a copper screen structure was not something I wanted to pursue, except in case of emergency. Instead, I chose to re-install OTA, but cut to a length such that it provided trap action with respect to the frequency of the interfering signal. This is ordinarily done by cutting the phono cable to an odd multiple or odd sub-multiple of a quarter wavelength corresponding to the frequency of the interference. For an interference frequency of 106 MHz, a cable length of 70 cm was required. No way! I was not going to triple the length of OTA after what I had gained by shortening it to 25 cm. Returning to a 1.0 m phono cable only confirmed my decision. As soon as a 1.0 meter phono cable was installed, voices took on a reduced quality, seemed covered over, and possessed alot less verve. All instruments sounded flatter, lazier, the three-dimensionality of the recording was lost, everything seemed more boring, dynamics were not as striking, brass instruments no longer had their high-frequency resonance, and the whole sound image lost its live attack. Even though it was not exactly a tuned stub, I quickly re-installed the 25 cm OTA cables with DIY shielding (something like Bill Ying's cable jackets was in my mind as I built my OTA shielding; however, mine are alot more futuristic--silver-- than Shun Mook's Catholic purple). The pickup end of the shielded OTA was left ungrounded and the shielding was only grounded at the phono stage end, so that the RF energy saw a very high impedance at the input end of the cable. It worked! The raucous, gutsy, fuzzy timbre was gone from my VAICs, and there was no more noticeable RFI.
Conclusion: I thought after this experiment that perhaps OTA Kit should perhaps include some simple, grounded cable jackets for shielding OTA in cases where electro-magnetic fields might lead to interference. Perhaps 4 little Shun Mook-like jackets might be included. I cannot help but feel that OTA, WITH the shielding, is slightly better: fundamental tones are slightly more solid, there is a little more relaxation and ease, and the music flows slightly better. The tonal balance even seems to shift subtly when the jacket is moved to different portions of OTA, much like the changes that one can induce by varying the contact area at the ends of the cable. Perhaps these jackets can provide resonance dampening, and current channeling one day in their own way.

Nice post, Slawney. I use a Shun Mook cable jacket on my Hovland phono cable and like it.
Slawney: Mark (Palmnell) discovered that a slight "twist" was required when using the OTA as phono IC's (in order to reduce hum/interference). We discussed this outside of the forums and I recall that the twist/cross was every 1" to 1.5" (which is easy enough to try if you are using the OTA RCA's @ the phono preamp connection). I am still waiting on a few parts (male IEC and cartridge leads) before I tear into my TT, but will be replacing the IC's with the OTA once all of the parts are here. Mark had noted that this slight "cross" did not close in the sound as I have noted that doing this to analog IC's does. Let us know if this works out.
Asa: Hovland was the next phono cable I was going to try. What length are you running? Dekay: I considered twisting the OTA phono cables. After all, Simon Yorke twists the TT arm cables very tightly. Likewise, I thought that I would have to twist the phono cables rather tightly to achieve a shielding effect, and I was worried about breaking OTA. Also, I was worried about stress at the plugs, with all of that force applied to the wires to keep them wound around one another (PhonoCube is pretty small and light, and I can easily imagine the unit being lifted off of its feet by this). If you say that 1" twists are enough and that there is no degradation of the sound, I will try it. But I am very pleased with the existing set-up (straight 25 cm runs of OTA under my DIY RFI shields). The next step is to by-pass the female RCA plugs on the Simon Yorke TT completely and connect the phono cable directly to the termination pins of the SY TT arm wires. This will require an additional DIY component: an insulated cable support system to hold the four wires apart so that they do not touch and short out. In the end, this OTA phono cable experiment is a "dream come true" for me: phono cables were one of the biggest single disappointments for me over the years, and I had always dreamed of shortening this connection to the minimal. Hence always my purchase of small-size phono stages that I could situate on the platform next to the TT. The success of OTA in this application was beyond my expectations: I am in awe. Keep us posted on your OTA phono cable experiment, dekay. I am going to try your OTA digital cable design soon enough.
Slawney: Yes, I need to figure out a good "stress" relief system as well (for making hard connections on IC's). They have a tendancy to break off @ the solder connections. I will check the local hardware store for something made out of Teflon. You might try contacting Mark directly in regard to the phono IC's that he attached to his Linn TT (he may have further info/comments available by now). I also have a sample of an Amp-Cool product which silver coats copper and I was thinking of applying this to the OTA before soldering it with silver bearing solder. Don't know what effect this will have, but I am curious as to whether it will improve the connection. This is a powdered silver product which forms a chemical bond with the copper when applied cold.