Sakura Systems OTA Cable Kit

Has anyone tried this "minimalist" cable kit? After receiving a recommendation from someone with similar musical values to myself, and whose ears I trust, I could not resist ordering one. I will report on how they sound in a few weeks, but am interested in others' opinions too.

For those that have not heard about them look at www.sakurasystems.com for an interesting read. The cable sounds as if it is very close to the specification of the conductors in Belden Cat5. So I may have spent around 100 times what the kit is worth. We shall see.

If you have not heard this cable, please don't bother posting your opinions of how it MUST sound here. Nor am I that interested in hearing how stupid I must be to order this kit - it's my money and you are free to make different decisions with yours. Sorry for this condition, but I am bored with those that have nothing positive to offer on this site, and post their opinions based on deductive logic rather than actual experience.
redkiwi
I just discovered there are TWO OTAs! There is a .65mm version in addition to the .40mm version of OTA. The .65mm version is explicitly designed for power cables, but not recommended for IC and speaker cable applications--although I remember a post a few months ago from someone who advocated using the two different diameters for + and neutral runs of the same IC. The larger wire is safer for power applications, and might even result in a better sound. I will trade in some of my .40mm power cables for the .65mm wire and report on the results. Perhaps now we have to refer to OTA SMALL and OTA LARGE. :-D
Of course, OTA cables were used by 47 Labs throughout their exhibition system at Frankfurt High End 2002--just like last year, everything was wired with OTA. Of course, there was a lot of astonished audiophiles looking at the OTAs running everywhere. And there was one incredibly funny incident concerning the "specialness" of OTA.
Austin: nice OTA trick! Why not bypass the binding posts (on both speaker and amp) altogether and run OTA directly from the speaker crossover board to the amplifier output board? Bypassing binding posts and big female RCA plugs really helps open up the sound, and improves detail alot.
hello to theaudiotweak...Is the copper based solder that you mentioned above commonly available?Is there a specific name for it? I plan on replacing some arteries on my Triangles this weekend and need to pick some of that up.I should've gone all the way with the OTA right from the start;but then what would I screw around with now...? Thanks for the info and input.
Dave,the solder is called Riehl Copper Solder named after its composition designer Brent Riehl. This solder has no lead and no flux. I got it to flow well. You do need to have a quality gun with adjustable temperature. This is, by far the best sounding solder I believe I have heard. Reason I feel I can say this is I have 2 Sonoran cables one with the older high quality solder and another identical, but with the copper based. The difference is not sudtle.This solder is sold by the pound call 1-877-668-4332.This is also where I purchased the hook up wire. Tom
Tom, thanks for the info. Sounds like you've messed around with some different solders, eh? Have you tried the Wonder,WBT, or the Cardas Quad Eutectic? I have only read their names (along with several other types)in the Tweakers Asylum.I guess I've opened another can of worms.Looks like a quality iron will be neccessary to make the "good stuff" flow.. there was something else about midnight , a full moon and swinging a chicken overhead (no problem there)...I appreciate the feedback.thanks,Dave

Slawney, it was my post that recommended using the two different wire gauges (thin hot, thick return). However, not for ICs but only for speakers cables. In my system it produced better bass.

My Japanese speaking friend is going back to Japan next week and may visit Mr. Kimura again. While there he can ask him (not the distributor!) directly, if the thicker cable would make a good power cable. I would call Mr. Kimura myself, but he does not speak English and my Japanese is rusty. The last time my friend was there Mr. Kimura gave him the exact power cable and another experimental cable he was using in his reference system. My friend gave me the cables, but I have not used them as the gauge looks too small-might start a fire, although the insulation is thicker than on the OTA.

What might work is to hardwire the OTA to the the component and attach a plug at the end and plug that end into your favorite power cord. That way the first power cord can dampen the mechanical resonances and the OTA can further refine the filtered power.