Cables that cost more than the speakers?

I was reading TAS tonight and noticed that several of their recommended systems utilized speaker cable that retails more than the speakers or amp to which they were connected. One was using the Purist Dominous and another the Kimber KS3038. These are both GREAT cables, but it seems strange to me to hook up a $13k cable to $9.5k speakers.

I guess there will be those that say "Whatever sounds best.", but it is still strange. Does anybody here have a similar SC to speaker ratio? FYI: I'm using Kimber KS-3033s ($2200) with my Talon Khorus($14k).
metaphysics
Metaphysics, I doubt that anyone would begin with a budget that has a higher dollar amount allocated to cables. Mainly because of system synergy. I think that most people choose their favorite speaker (within their budget) and proceed from there. My cables cost about 65% of what my system costs, but through bartering, trade ins and buying through Audiogon I would estimate that I spent about 20% of system cost. My goal was to get the best synergy possible. If I could have easy access to say... 15 brands of cable, and time to try every one, perhaps I might have found a less expensive cable that sounds as good or better, but that is impractical. I relied on tips from members, and magazine articles to narrow my choices to four or five brands. I must say that given a choice I would pick the expensive cables I have any day, but if I had to pay full price retail for every one I would probably have settled for a lesser cable (for a while). Hail Audigon!
Metaphysics: Are you guys kidding from absolute sound? Would you people out there buy a BMW for $90,000. and then buy 4 new tires for $130,000. so it would ride even smoother. I think not, the michelins that come with it are fine. This is the exact ratio that they are trying to sell to us on cables with your speakers. These people get caried away from REALITY. You can't put an exact % of cost on cables because each company make differant kinds that look and sound better to you than others. But a fair rule of thumb to start would be 10%-20% of your speakers. Your quality of products are #1 or the best cables in the world won't help if you own cheap goods. Let your eyes & ears choose for you, just because it is expensive doesn't mean it's the best.
Mikelavigne:

Wow. Even with the credit you got due to the cable you traded in, that is an awful lot of money. I don't know how much of a discount you got on top of the generous trade-in allowance, but isn't it interesting that the dealer could afford to do it for you? This indicates his mark-up is huge as is everyone's along the chain towards selling one of these high-end cables. He probably still made a ton of money on the deal even though he was able to give you these huge concessions. I haven't heard the Transparent cables which you speak of, but I have heard or owned a fair number of expensive interconnects up to the retail price of about $3000. None are totally neutral. None are even nearly perfect. They all have flaws. None works in every system. And any change in any component might make any of these cables unusable in the system in which it was installed. I respect the right of everyone to make their own decisions regarding how and where to allocate their money, but given all of the flaws, weaknesses and risks of obsolescence using these cables, I think it makes it hard to justify purchasing a cable which is priced like an automobile unless you are sure to recoup your money when and if the cable no longer works for you. I find it especially difficult to justify those kind of outlays when I know the cost to make these cables doesn't relate at all to what they cost, even with the "generous" discounts.
It's time to stop comparing auto to audio! The relationship is flawed and the comparisons always sound so stupid. Has anyone seen a $130,000 tire?

My speaker cables retail for 3 times the retail of my speakers. I would never recommend doing that and the actual cost was more in line with 1/3 cable and 2/3 speaker. It sure sounds good though!