Cables that cost more than the speakers?

I was reading TAS tonight and noticed that several of their recommended systems utilized speaker cable that retails more than the speakers or amp to which they were connected. One was using the Purist Dominous and another the Kimber KS3038. These are both GREAT cables, but it seems strange to me to hook up a $13k cable to $9.5k speakers.

I guess there will be those that say "Whatever sounds best.", but it is still strange. Does anybody here have a similar SC to speaker ratio? FYI: I'm using Kimber KS-3033s ($2200) with my Talon Khorus($14k).
metaphysics
Mikelavigne:

Wow. Even with the credit you got due to the cable you traded in, that is an awful lot of money. I don't know how much of a discount you got on top of the generous trade-in allowance, but isn't it interesting that the dealer could afford to do it for you? This indicates his mark-up is huge as is everyone's along the chain towards selling one of these high-end cables. He probably still made a ton of money on the deal even though he was able to give you these huge concessions. I haven't heard the Transparent cables which you speak of, but I have heard or owned a fair number of expensive interconnects up to the retail price of about $3000. None are totally neutral. None are even nearly perfect. They all have flaws. None works in every system. And any change in any component might make any of these cables unusable in the system in which it was installed. I respect the right of everyone to make their own decisions regarding how and where to allocate their money, but given all of the flaws, weaknesses and risks of obsolescence using these cables, I think it makes it hard to justify purchasing a cable which is priced like an automobile unless you are sure to recoup your money when and if the cable no longer works for you. I find it especially difficult to justify those kind of outlays when I know the cost to make these cables doesn't relate at all to what they cost, even with the "generous" discounts.
It's time to stop comparing auto to audio! The relationship is flawed and the comparisons always sound so stupid. Has anyone seen a $130,000 tire?

My speaker cables retail for 3 times the retail of my speakers. I would never recommend doing that and the actual cost was more in line with 1/3 cable and 2/3 speaker. It sure sounds good though!
rayhall, i respect your comments and spent 6 months considering alternatives after i first heard the opus before i finally purchased it. in the context of my system they made a larger performance increase than any change i have made. i would simply recommend that until a person hears what a product can do they refrain from assumeing that "it can't be worth the money". would you think $40k for speakers would be unthinkable. if these cables make more difference than additional money for speakers wouldn't they be equally as valuable? or is it more politically correct to buy more expensive speakers?

an analogy i would use to describe the special quality of the opus speaker cable would be that comparing it to the next best cable i have heard (nordost valhalla) it is like going from a darkened room to full natural sunshine. no other component has ever done that at any price.

i remember when i first heard about a $300 set of speaker cables; i thought that the idea of $300 for cables was laughable. over time i have come to appreciate what enjoyment my system can bring me and how cables affect performance. there is no right and wrong on this issue; only context, perspective, and taste.
Jadem6: It's time to stop comparing your feelings on an EXAMPLE. And if you read the entire article that's what it was, with [4] tires not 1. That's just how out of whack the price would be on those cables. Hey remember it's just all of our humble opinions. Just relax, have a couple of beers, and go night-night. A new day tomorrow.
Metaphysics: I believe alot of people are trying to help you with there opinions. There is no perfect solution of ratio, or the best cable. Try them out, they are all differant. But to have cables that are way more than your speakers- I don't think so. And the person Jademo6 needs a major dose of PROZAC. Relax Dude.