The Lawyers Have Taken Over Audio

Great article in the wall street journal today.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323320404578213691784333734.html?KEYWORDS=gideon+schwartz

Strange, Gideon mentions that he has a $500,000 ceiling on a system. I will appreciate that when I visit him. I now know how much cash to bring.
buconero117
20K is limit of Sanity, and that only if Classical is your primary fare.Period, end of story.
"The more you spend, the closer you get to musical truth."

Fortunately, most of us here knows it doesn't work that way. I've heard a couple of systems that cost roughly $400k, to $600k, that didn't sound as good as some way under a $100k systems can. Actually, I was relieved to get home and hear my own system for a fraction of the cost of those. The one was put together by someone with over forty years of experience. That's about this mans age. It takes a lot of years to really learn this hobby.

Going by price is one way of putting together a system, possibly at someones else's expense. But years of experience of trial and error, and a good ear can get you a lot more for your dollar. Sadly, if you don't have that experience, you may end up with what someone else thinks is a good sounding system.

You could buy some amps shown here, and some speakers shown here, and spend a lot more than $500k, and into the millions of dollars with a system. I've heard some of those companies products myself. I imagine you'll find a lot of those aren't necessarily going to be the best sounding.
Not sure why many are being so hard on both Gideon as well as his clients. I have experience with many very wealthy clients/friends. I would suggest that most are very intelligent and capable of making smart and well thought out decisions. Many might seem to have more money than time, that does not necessarily make them deaf. I am not certain, but perhaps this makes someone that can provide what they desire with a minimum of time and effort. It seems to me quite possibly Gideon is providing exactly what they are looking for. While I do not agree with his "philosophies" I for one do appreciate his supporting some of the companies that push the sonic limits (as well as the extreme pricing).