Do Cables Wear Out?

A fellow Hi - Fi friend was explaining particle breakdown in cables after years of use and loud rock use will bring demise sooner. Anyone have knowledge of this?
128x128spl
My Yakko cables are so shot that they are turning into dust. All I did was play a little "Too Short."
Technically, he is correct, an example being that automotive spark plug wires in 5,000-30,000 volt circuits should probably be replaced after about 100,000 miles. I wouldn't worry about it in your application for the first 75 years or so however, and I think that is being very conservative. IMO.
The regular application of finely particulated Allotropic SnakeOil (TM) from Ophidic Audio Systems will prevent premature depolymerization and breakdown of copper-to-co-valent copper bonds of the basal IC transmissive metallic polymer chain. Most reputable audio tweaks vendors sell this product these days. You should not have problems finding it. Just make sure what you purchase: there are a lot of imitations out there made from low grade fish oil.