Do Cables Wear Out?

A fellow Hi - Fi friend was explaining particle breakdown in cables after years of use and loud rock use will bring demise sooner. Anyone have knowledge of this?
128x128spl

05-30-06: Gunbei
Tvad, would this be like checking to see if you can still see the top of Abe Lincoln or FDR's head?
Dunno. Does that involve mirrors and lasers?

I'd have a marginally witty response if I knew what the heck you were talking about.
Three observations,

first, nobody has mentioned corrosion, which can occur to copper cables over time;

second, to Guidocorona, last time I checked coal or whatever fuel is used to power generators and does not cause impurities in the electron flow, no matter how dirty. However, the dirty coal might contribute to air pollution, greenhouse effect and global warming (which is bad for tube amps);

and finally, to Gunbei, I have not seen any pictures posted of your girlfriends but after the mental picture your post provides, I have made a note to self not to buy any used cables from you :>)
Tvad, using a penny or dime is how old timers determined if it was time to buy a new set of tires. If you could see the top of the President's head you have enough tread left. If not, time to fork out the dough!

Mitch2, you're a smart man. No matter how gorgeous the woman, I'd never, ever drink her bath water.

05-30-06: Gunbei
Tvad, using a penny or dime is how old timers determined if it was time to buy a new set of tires. If you could see the top of the President's head you have enough tread left. If not, time to fork out the dough!
Ah, of course...I should have known it was a car reference. :)

The Electron-O-Meter would be a precision device utilizing milspec knarkle valves, and it would come in it's own faux alligator, snap-close, Naugahyde carrying pouch.

We could emboss the image of a penny on the pouch.
"Knarkle" valves? I'm frightened already. But from a fashion stand point what you describe would be an ideal match for Gilbert Yeung's Preamp Purse and Pump Monoblocks.