My system is bright? I need help. thanks

Hi. it is my first time here in this forum. i would appreciate input and help from all of you. No sacrasm or bad langauge please. I had bad experience with other forums in that aspect. music loving people and audiophiles should be an elite, high caliber and classy community. This is rare to find today. Ok Down to the point.

My system
Musical fidelity kw 500 sacd player. I use the tube output.
Musical fidelity kw 500 integrated amp.
speakers:eggleston andra (not andra 2)
speaker cable: satori acoustic zen
interconnects: Nordost baldur and nordost quatrofil RCA
USe a dedicated 20 amp line with regular power cords(came with the gear) and a panamax 20 amp surge protector and filter.

This is in my family room so there is little room for treatment and moving things around.

problem: bright. the highs are killing my ears, after 1-2 hours of listening my ears start to hurt,sometimes 3 minutes. I have to turn the volume down. I tried postioning, it got a little better. I will try acoustic zen silver ref II may be it will help. The sound is otherwise phenomenal, i could be happy with more bass, but overall it is very good. Depth, tranparency, acuity and soundstaging are great. As for mids, i can see the person infront of me,I can hear the articulation of the tongue in the mouth before the words and tunes comes out. no kidding, but not for long because of fatigue.

I would really appreciate your input.
Scientist73
scientist73
The instruments on Modern Cool disc are recorded super clean, top level quality. It's her voice that screwes things up. On Modern Cool track 3 when she sings "SSSSSetting my being completely....on fire" and on track 8 she sings "Your SSSSSSSSSSSSun makes me feel like a fool".....these can drive you nuts man!

So Scientist, best of luck to you. Relax and don't go crazy with PB's sibilance when you evaluate the sound quality. It's not the equipment. She can drive you nuts. :)

You CAN reduce this with cables to some degree. And with room treatment. But what's on the recording can not be eliminated completely. Although I never listened to a pair of Andras, I am pretty sure they are top of the line speakers. With a different set of cables you may reduce the sibilance on her CDs but you may loose some other qualities you like about your system. There is always a trade off.
location. location. location..positio.positio.position
more progress.
I started all over again i pushed the speakes back to the wall less than a foot away and started again.
Here are some conclusions, to some of you who are experts it may be a given but to other it may be of help

the bass got strong but was a little boomy. when i started to toe in it got better and the imaging got better too. The quality is different than when the speakers are 3 feet away from the wall and 6-7 fet from me, i was sitting in the middle of the music, it was 3D in every aspect to an unrealistic but addicitve way. now it is clear but i lost that hologram effect. i may trying to achieve what is unreal. real sound in a concert hall , even in the best spot is not hologram like, correct me if i am wrong.
With the speaker close to wall and very slightly toed in i was able to escape some of the reflections on the right book case. This is my problem guys, the right book case. the middle of such case is a flat wood wall and the bottom is granite fireplace. when the speaker is at a certain angle which i am too close to find the out edge of music going to that wall reflects, this is the problem. i even hear the interument echoing at a certain angle and even their tome changes.
Also with the speakers close to the wall and far form me, the sound stage moved far from me , mostly infornt of me so refelctions are much less.
I guess there is no win win here. I am greedy i want it all especially after spending a lot i thought i can get it all. i have to keep tring.Then i will start the long cable swap marathon. but i found that position if the problably the greatest factor that can cause major changes. In realestate they say the most important is location, location, location. I guess this is true for our case too.
thanks much to all of you
Since you have tried various speaker placement and the brightness is still prevalent, it's down to the electronics. The synergy between your speakers and the Musical Fidelity amp, in my opinion and some others, is the culprit. You can of course try wires since they are the cheapest solution, but if you could get someone to loan you a Krell or McCormack amp(noticed a few users who drive the Andra with Krell FPB's) then the much better since you would then be able to know how your speakers would interact with the right electronics, or vice versa. You can check out users who have similiar speakers here in their virtual systems and get some opinions from them.

I was in a dilemma once as there was a mismatch between my amp and speakers, and I have to choose which one to go despite my initial intention to keep them both. In my case there was too much warmth and I wanted more detail and transparency. Eventually I have chosen my amp to stay and got new speakers. FYI I have tried cables in an attempt to salvage things too but in the end figured out a *component* need to be replaced.

Good luck in your cable marathon......
Scientist73, if you moved your speakers close to the back wall, I hope it wasn't based on my post, because this is not what I suggested. The sound you are hearing with the speakers closer to the wall...the boominess and lack of three dimensionality...is exactly why they should not be placed there.

I suggested spreading the speakers farther apart by one to two feet while leaving them the same distance from the rear wall as they were before.

Perhaps there is a reason that I don't understand that precludes you from trying the wider positioning? Did you ever try moving your chair closer to the speakers (before you moved them toward the rear wall) to listen for the difference?

Anyhow, I'd suggest re-reading my post above for my recommendation. Others agreed with the technique, and I feel strongly that you would hear improvments over what you had before.

Good luck.
Tvad, The problem in trying to help Scientist73 is fundamentally we don't have a basic undertanding of his room. We don't even really know its dimensions, we don't know where his listening position possibilities are, ad infinitum ad naseum.

I think a major factor which is not being considered is that these are 3 way speakers and I doubt they were intended to be used as 'nearfield' monitors. My last speakers (before Tylers) were a three way system using Dynaudio drivers, much as the Andrea's. When you listen in the nearfield the tweeter predominates the sound as the tweeter is closer to you and it has not really blended with the mid and woof.

I would guess that these speakers would sound best if the drivers were about 9 to 10 feet apart, the listening position was 10' back and the speakers were 4 to 5 ft from the wall behind them. By crossing the axis of the speakers as I suggested earlier you can actually get close side wall placement, there is no sonic downside to close sidewall placement other than these reflections.

Unfortunately we do not what is even possible. I suspect that he has room set up limitations, or he has some asthetic limitations, or sonic predispositions, which he has not told us about.

But, Scientist73, you would not be the first person to discover the hard way that buying highly regarded equipment and plunking it down in a room that it sounds poorly and then tries to patch it together with different stuff, without understanding and attacking basic set up issues first, and ultimately after gaining an education the hard way (money and time wise) ends up essentially starting from scratch. Been there, done that! I think many of us have, especially us set up freaks. :-)

FWIW, Scientist73, time to start getting analytical about your problems. There really is no quick cure for your problems if you really want to get the value out of your present equipment. If you really want some help from this forum, take a moment to provide a concise description of your room, its openings, its furnishings including locations of windows, furniture, etc. Just put it in words with descriptive descriptions. We can draw diagrams in our minds. There are some very knowlegable set up folks here who can help, but everyone is presently shooting in the dark in trying to help you.

FWIW :-)