question on pwr cords

Does the length of a power cord impact sound quality greatly? Obviously analogue interconnect, especialy when single ended and speaker cable do....the reason is due to my lack of outlets and positioning of equipment considering ordering a custom length power cord for a pwr amp.

In addition if I want a less obstrusive, less thick pwr cord, what would u recommend? Cost is less of an issue. Crystal ultra?
henryhk
Tplavas,

I have to say that I'm amazed at your aural accuity! Just how does the difference that you can detect between a 1.5 and a 2 meter PC of ths same brand and construction manifest itself? What is it that you hear that is different? Do you think that this observation is universal, that is it applies to all amps, or just yours?

I'm facinated.
Newbee:
That's an easy one, the 2m PC gets you 0.5m closer to the music....
sorry couldn't resist..
Newbee,

I'll assume that you weren't being sarcastic with your question and give you an answer.
It depends on the specific power cable, but even small changes in length can be heard. Again, it varies depending on cable design, but generally the shorter the power cable gets, the more 'forward' the sound, along with some perceived movement in the soundstage. With some PC's, this difference can be pretty drastic, most likely because of their fairly high inductance (compared to the 'average' PC). Heavy-gauge PC's with lower inductance tend to minimize the change in sound with length.
I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the positively reviewed, well-known power cords I've tried sound best in lengths between 5-8 feet (in my opinion). I'm sure most successful PC manufacturers consider the sonic effects of length when designing their power cords.
Frankly, I'm always quite surprised at the jeering that takes place every time someone brings up the subject of power cord length. If one believes that PC's make a difference, why is it so hard to believe that their length affects a difference as well?
Tplavas, I wasn't being sarcastic, but I will comment on your last sentence.

It is not, or at least IMHO should not be, a matter of whether or not one 'believes' that PC's make a difference. A person should simply be able to clearly hear a difference if one exists. I've never been able to clearly hear a definable difference and I'm always interested in how folks who do hear a difference describe that difference.

That way, next time I try experimenting with PC's I know what to listen for. I know cables and IC's can sound different depending on design and usage, why not PC's. I just haven't heard it, yet.
I know cables and IC's can sound different depending on design and usage, why not PC's. I just haven't heard it, yet.
Newbee (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)

Listen for the same things you listen for when auditioning any other wire or piece of gear.