The Cost of Cables

We all know that there have been countless posts with endless debates about cables on every audio forum available. The reason I start this post is to garner thoughts from others on the cost of cables, not necessarily whether they make a difference or not. I find the prices for cables staggering and I (me personally) do not understand where the cost comes from. Some will say R&D, ok, I can go for that to a point, but can the manufacturing of wire really cost much? (In thinking about this, the discussion could be applied to audio as a whole.)

Obviously cable companies survive because we purchase their products, I include myself. But if we quit paying these large prices, would prices fall dramatically or would they just quit making cables such as we know it and/or close their doors?
brianmgrarcom
I pay extra for high test gasoline, which some people say makes a lot less sense than expensive cables, but I have no intent to change.

Using a "high test" gasoline, higher octane, can actually be bad for a car if it doesn't call for an octane that high. The octane ratings correlates to when the gas detonates, so an octane too high can cause wrong detonation. The mistake is made when one uses this gasoline because they think they are using better gasoline. (If anyone wants to correct my crude response, feel free, I am no automotive expert.)

Man, I just took the thread off topic.

Is it determed by most then that cables simply are marked up much more than other audio componants or is there actually something to the cost?

Brian
Is it determed by most then that cables simply are marked up much more than other audio componants...

Brian
Brianmgrarcom (System | Threads | Answers)
IMO, yes.
Regardless of the price of the cables, it is neither financially or psychologically the main purchase,

Cwlondon

Actually, look around this site some more, you may be surprised. Some are using cables as expensive, if not more expensive, than their equipment.

Is it determed by most then that cables simply are marked up much more than other audio componants or is there actually something to the cost?

Brian
Brianmgrarcom

Yes, there is more mark up in cables than other gear. Again though, blame the consumers, not the manufacturers. If you found folks dying to give you more money, wouldn't you take it?

John
If you found folks dying to give you more money, wouldn't you take it?

John
Jmcgrogan2 (Threads | Answers)
For further supporting evidence, see threads about tweaks...
I have a grandson who makes a good living importing stuff, mostly from China. One kind of stuff is audio equipment. He tells me that he buys some decent-sounding speakers for $50, but had a hard time selling them for $200. He raised his price to $400, and now they sell well. "Who wants a $200 speaker?" is how he explains it.