The Cost of Cables

We all know that there have been countless posts with endless debates about cables on every audio forum available. The reason I start this post is to garner thoughts from others on the cost of cables, not necessarily whether they make a difference or not. I find the prices for cables staggering and I (me personally) do not understand where the cost comes from. Some will say R&D, ok, I can go for that to a point, but can the manufacturing of wire really cost much? (In thinking about this, the discussion could be applied to audio as a whole.)

Obviously cable companies survive because we purchase their products, I include myself. But if we quit paying these large prices, would prices fall dramatically or would they just quit making cables such as we know it and/or close their doors?
brianmgrarcom
Snofun wrote:
"There is no such thing as "wrong detonation" by using an unnnecesarily high octane for a particular engine, you just use up unnecessary $."

Not true. Higher octane gas is harder to burn, it requires more cylinder pressure to detonate. If you run too high an octane you'll end up with carbon deposits in your cylinders and on your pistons and valves. The key to buying gasoline is to use the lowest octane you can without pre-igntion (pinging). This gives you the maximum power output and the cleanest burn. This is not an arguable point, it is scientifically established...

-RW-
That's how I thought it to be also RW, but as I say, I am no automotive expert.

JayDee, great to see your name appear, I haven't seen a post from you in a LONG time. (Good chance I just haven't seen your posts.)
gentlemen:

it's all about economics, namely cost and value.

the value in use equals the value in exchange. i have indicated this well-known law several times. it applies to cable as well as any component.

if a buyer considers that the price of a component is less than or equal to the value for a product, it is purchased. an audiophile who receives pleasure from the purchase of expensive components is receiving value for the purchase. the value may be of a psychological nature.

value may inhere in the listening or the "pride" of ownership.

two audiophiles may differ as to the value of a component and one may be willing to pay the price , while the other considers the product over-priced.

thus, the price of a cable represent's an estimate of the value to a potential customer.

it is also based upon the possible deman for the product.

whenever considering questions of the price of components, think economics and perhaps psychology as well.
Having owned many Porsches including factory race cars, I will tell you I get in far less trouble in my dedicated music room. Also, I can share the audio/music passion with my "reference" wife and some very good friends and I know before I turn it on what the maximum potential will be....I have had days at the track where that was DEFINITELY NOT the case...
The cost of most vices is not always obvious at first blush..
"Higher octane gas is harder to burn, it requires more cylinder pressure to detonate.". This is good to know, I had thought you could light it with a match at atmospheric pressure.