The Cost of Cables

We all know that there have been countless posts with endless debates about cables on every audio forum available. The reason I start this post is to garner thoughts from others on the cost of cables, not necessarily whether they make a difference or not. I find the prices for cables staggering and I (me personally) do not understand where the cost comes from. Some will say R&D, ok, I can go for that to a point, but can the manufacturing of wire really cost much? (In thinking about this, the discussion could be applied to audio as a whole.)

Obviously cable companies survive because we purchase their products, I include myself. But if we quit paying these large prices, would prices fall dramatically or would they just quit making cables such as we know it and/or close their doors?
brianmgrarcom
why is there so much of an obsession with the cost of cable ?

consider cable as you would any other expensive object of consumption. if you consider cable "over" priced, don't buy it. why spend so much time and energy on a topic which really is not that important ?

aren't there more significant subjects to discuss ?
Mrtennis....You say "why is there so much of an obsession with the cost of cable ?"

It's because the function of a cable is so simple...Provide an electrical conductor from point A to point B, with insulation on the outside. People can understand that, and question why it costs so much. An audio amplifier is a bit of a mystery to many audiophiles, and they are more easily convinced that it is rocket science.
Provide an electrical conductor from point A to point B, with insulation on the outside. People can understand that, and question why it costs so much. An audio amplifier is a bit of a mystery to many audiophiles, and they are more easily convinced that it is rocket science.

Good point, cables and amplifiers are hardly rocket science. As in most consumer products, each "rocket" is a marketing pitch to create tiered products for customers willing to part with more money to have something slightly better. The key word being ***slightly***.

In all honesty, most mid fi gear is extremely good (at modest SPL levels, of course). However, stoking enthusiasm through hyperbolic testimonials and pseudo-science works wonders.

Only a child might believe that the Ford Fusion can be parked on the vertical face of a building. Unfortunately, the line between fantasy and reality is not so obvious in the jargon cluttered world of high end audio...and the truth is we often want to believe the hype (especially after spending lots of hard earned $$$'s)!

As Tom Petty sings "It's Good to be King" and high priced exclusive products can help make one feel that way...so believe!