Questionable Estate Auction practice

Yesterday I attended an auction with high end equipment.
I won a pair of speakers but after all the items in the setup, (turntable, amp, pre-amp, cassette deck, cd player), were sold as individual pieces, the auctioneer restarted the bidding as a set. This starts the bidding at the total price bid for all the items. As a result someone bid on 'the set' so all the individual bidders were SOL. I was not willing to go that high to get the speakers, (I didn't want the other items). So I lost the speakers even though I bid the highest. I was upset and I'm not sure if this practice was even legal. Anyone ever here of this? BTW-Speakers where Apogee Duetta II's.
fse
You are probably better off without them. If they haven't already been restored with new ribbon panels (yes, all of them), you will be facing that expense and trouble. Had Calipers once and I believe they are all doomed eventually.It's just the nature of the design/construction. Wasn't so bad back when the Co. was in business, but not now.
Unless there are special laws that govern auctions, what they did was probably not legal. When you won the auction, you had a contract for sale. The only exception I can think of is if you waved certain rights in advance. Most likely that would have taken place when you registered for the auction. If they made you sign any papers that's where you would find it.
I grew up working in estate auctions where child labor laws were severely subverted! I didn't complain much since the auction company was responsible for everything else in my life! The laws governing auctions can vary from state to state and town to town.
We/my Dad would have tried to sell the whole lot first, usually with a reserve, and then sold the set piece by piece if the complete lot didn't sell. Seems to me you got a raw deal! The Auctioneer should have taken a few moments before taking bids to explain how the sale would go.