A hard look at the effect of cables

Hey guys
A fellow EE audionut directed me to these articles and I thought some of you might be very interested to read them too. Two arguably qualified engineers went through the pains to take high quality measurements of the effect of cables and their interation with a complex electrical load, such as a full range loudspeaker, and with a complex signal, such as music. The link below is to the final installment but be sure to also read parts 4 and 5 very carefully. Part 5's Figures 6.8 and 6.9 are really amazing. I had never seen such measurements and they definitely seem to correlate with what we hear. The cables lengths are longer than normal but I think the point is well made. Hope you enjoy this read as much as I did.

http://www.planetanalog.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202102592

Arthur
aball
Knownothing, I agree with you. Being near 60 and having been keenly into reproduced misic for ~45 yrs(picked it up from my dearly departed Dad w his Grundig console & the Limelighters & such) I guess I'm a little overappreciative of the tech marvels of today. (I'm even awed/thrilled a bit that my cellphone will update my computer records, do email & cerf the net. ATB.
HA! No worries, the sub does add a quite a lot to any recording by Missy Elliott. Badonkdonkdonk.
Psacanli, btw,
I guess this is why Spectral had MIT design some cables for them.
Reportedly, no. The spectral amps are wide-bandwidth devices (up to ~1MHz), so the wire must protect against picking up hi freq noise. Other amps are bandwidth limited so the matter is moot. Cheers
agree with Pscanli--newer subs are much easier to set up -- revel b15a for example has its own internal EQ--does take some time but not bad for the benefits if you have never heard what a good sub can do!! you would be amazed how much more dynamic a system can be with one .
I am just curious, if multiamplification is such an obvious advantage, why don't I hear more on this site about Meridian speakers? Specific execution by that brand, or not as great in general practice as in theory? Or is it marketing psychology - being hard for folks to drop the big bucks on two speakers and some wire instead of boxes and boxes of gear from different manufacturers, each with their own individually smaller price tags, but adding up in the end to the same or greater cost? Or, if everybody owned Meridian products, what would there be to talk about on the gear side of the hobby when the manufacturer has done nearly ALL of the fooling around for us? Just wondering.