Directional interconnect cables

I see several big-name interconnect vendors mark directional arrows on the outer jacket of the cables.

How is it that a wire can be directional? It's a simple electrical conductor, how is it possible for it to be directional, to sound "better" when connected in one direction vs. the other? This does not make sense to me, perhaps someone here can explain how this can possibly be so...
lupinthe3rd
It is only the practitioner that is forced to assume that tested and undisproven theories are facts.

A true scientist realises nothing is ever proven

I find the theorising here, by both sides, as pointless too

...and might that include your own remarks too? ;-)
I think I reported the results of my experiments. I cannot recall offering a theory, or claim that my experiments proved anything except to justify to me that I should consider directionality and burn in, in practise. I am happy to be corrected on that though. I am not trying to be superior, just pointing out as others have here, that our experiences are relevant, but our conflicting theories lead nowhere.
I'm just merely stating that knowledge of Ohm Law is not enough to question expertise of cable manufacturers - reality is much more complicated. I would rather depend on my ears or conduct experiment.

Since we are starting another round I'll have Pear Martini (to keep it simple). Cook pears slowly with saffran. Thank you.
The names Borda...Dave Borda. I'll have a double Dewars Black Label on the rocks and a set of the most expensive cables known to mankind...connected, and burned:)
Redkiwi, you might find the theorising pointless, but so is making completely false statements like "A true scientist realises nothing is ever proven".

Science can and does prove things by postulating theories, and then repeatedly testing and measuring to try to disprove the theory. If the tests show that the thoery holds, it becomes 'law', if not it is disproven. Such scientific 'proof' is legitimate in a court of law, but apparently not on Audiogon!

There are some things that can't be disproved because science does not yet have the capability or theories to test them accurately, as Richard Dawkins' "celestial teapot" shows; I could say that there is a teapot orbiting the Earth, which at this point in time couldn't be disproved with current astronomical equipment. Does that mean it's true? No, but "teapot-believers" would use that as evidence the teapot must exist.

Science disproves burn in for a simple reason; science uses 'before and after' measurements of various parameters of the cable. If these stay the same after the burn-in period, then the electrical properties of the cable are unchanged and burn-in is not supported. Whether you perceive a change with your (subjective) sense of hearing is another matter.

You have to remember that human ears are an amazingly sensitive piece of equipment, but the way we hear is subject to many other factors; the shape of the outer ear, wax deposits, nasal congestion, and even our mood can change the way we perceive sound.

Despite my science education, I do beleive I can hear differences between IC's and speaker cables, although I haven't noticed any change due to burn-in. But these are just my observations on my system with my ears, not proof.