If cables can break-in, can they then wear-out?

The phenomenon of cable break-in (is it really dielectric break-in?) must be physical to the cable/dielectric/insulator/termination, therefore will extended use wear out the cable?
I do not mean metal wear from plugging in and removing, either. I am assuming permanent installation.

In my opinion it's as much our ears getting acquainted as it is break-in.
mcintech
I don't know, but it sounds like a dynamite marketing strategy: replace your cables every six months due to wear.
You would think so.

I think you're right that our ears getting accustomed to something different sounding can be easily mistaken for break in. H

ow can you know for sure how much of the change is due to the item itself transforming versus our ears?
I agree that a piece of wire does not need nor benefit from break-in. But a cable is a bit more complex. The wire and the connections can oxidize over time, the dielectric can break down, deform, lose efficiency, etc. Granted this is over a very long time, certainly more than six months - more like 8 to 12 months.... er years :) So yeah, I think they do "wear out" but not because of use, just age/oxidation.

This is likely the second thread where I'll be accused of not generating enough revenue for AudiogoN and therefore my views should be ignored. But really, I don't care if people buy new $12,000 cables every six months because they're worn out. I just think they are very lucky to have more money than brains. Speaking of which, didn't congress just pass the "Cable Refreshment Act" in the stimulus package?!
This information may be useful. I use Cardas interconnects that are about thirteen years old. I'm upgrading my system, so I decided to ask George about aging cables. This was his reply:

Most interconnects do age because surface oxide formation on the conductors causes an increase in eddy currents (swirls in the em field actually). Cardas interconnects do not age in this way because all of there strands are individually enameled when they are made. I recommend an occasional sweep (using the Cardas sweeper record or the sweep track on the Ayre CD). Other that that you cables should not require any attention in normal use. We do have a service that verifies authenticity connections etc. We check all connections verify that everything is to spec and re-shrink the cables if you have any doubts.
Aw come on I was hoping to market my KaBLO-Dometer. And for the more descreet my KableKlocker with digital read out and alarms that remind you to replace. Dang and just developed a plan to get some bailout money to build a new factory....*sigh*