Computer vs CD/SACD discs

I am simplifying my system and getting out of vinyl. Actually sold all the vinyl and analog gear already. I was planning on going to computer audio and have been playing with it but really don't see the benefit over just slipping a disc into the tray. I also am getting a bit frustrated by all of the options of downloads, cables, inputs and opinions all over the place. I would welcome opinions thoughts on computer audio vs the old fashioned, putting a disc on the tray and pushing play. ( Streaming, I use spotify, exempted as this is a nice way to demo new music).
davt
If you are not computer literate or don't want to take the time and effort to optimize a computer, just get one of the superb servers from Antipodes audio in New Zealand. Best sounding server you can buy IME. Then add your favorite USB DAC or a USB converter and ANY DAC.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Until I can try and afford something like the Antipodes (check out Darko's review http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/02/antipodes-audio-ds-reference-review-6moons/ & Steve's recommendations) I'll just add another +1 for Grannyrigs' insightful and welcome post.

(Sorry about the long hyperlink but there's no way I know of to edit it. I even went to the Apple store and they were of no help, and slightly embarrased)

All the best,
Nonoise
When I was thinking of a used Ayre C-5xeMP, I posed the question of this thread to John Atkinson, who lists the Ayre as one of his sources. His reply was that for convenience he uses computer audio; for high quality audio he uses the Ayre.

I bought a used Ayre C-5xeMP. I have an unused Mac Mini connected to the asynchronous USB port of an Oppo BDP-105. The HD Tracks software wouldn't download when I purchased a Bach piece that seemed interesting. A fiend who is a computer audio enthusiast couldn't get it to download either and I haven't followed up.

db
wow!, this is like tring to say a car is a car, there is no difference between a ferrari and a kia, really!, can't make this up folks, if you never drove the ferrari, why comment on something you do not know about?
I will also add, you are saying that a profound power cable has the same audio performance as the stock power cord that comes with a componet, there is no difference to me with what you are saying compaired to this statement here, cables make a differnce, you can believe what you want to, good luck on your future endeavors.