I have a PC, and I love iTunes. What next?

As I read through these threads, I see a lot of folks who think iTunes from a PC into a DAC with a USB cable is mid-fi at best. I've looked at some other formats (foobar and others), and they just can't beat iTunes for convenience and play options. I will have my PS Audio Digital Link iii next week. Am I going to be disappointed? Will a better sound card make a difference?
paul_graham
My Opinion...

you don't need an expensive DAC to get world class performance...just a relatively recent one. The DAC he speaks of (PS Audio Dlink III can be had anytime for $500 here...which is a steal...lots of people trading up... to take advantage of high res format and Asynch mode USB capable DACs). I chose the PS Audio mostly because it has a warmer/full bodied sound. I am not a detail junkie...not that the details not good...it's just not etchy like so many others I've heard. To me, detail is nice...but if it's clinical an edgy, I get listening fatigue.

The Wyred4sound DACs are supposed to be pretty sweet...(although I personally have not heard them).

One DAC that blew my mind and got me started on this whole PC/DAC/ITUNES thing is the Wavelength Cosecant...it's a wonderful smooth musical sounding dac that has recently been upgraded to (more expensive) V3 that is modular, asynch, and will handle high res. The V2 was so smooth...(the tube on it is not just a prop, it makes solid state sound like tubes (again, my opinion)...

I am expecting delivery of a ARC DAC7 tomorrow... else I wouldn't even think of giving up the PS Audio Unit.