Do powercords make a difference in sound?

Do they make a difference by upgrading stock power cords in amps, ect versus aftermarket power cords? If so, can anyone advise a good bang for the buck upgrade?
chad329
A word of caution with the newer Volex 14/3 or Volex 17604 power cords. I purchased a pair of Volex 17604s a couple of months ago and just noticed recently that the ones I had purchased look a lot like the stock power cords that came with various amps I had bought previously. The markings on both cords said Baohing and some other specs the only difference being the female and male ends on the Volex cords had Volex on them. When I compared the ends visually they looked of the same quality. So if you want to try something different then stock in the real budget price range may be look elsewhere then Volex.

I was able to find Hospital Grade 14 AWG power cords with purple ends that looks like the Iron Lung Jellyfish Power Cord for a lot cheaper. About $17 shipped per cord. I don't know if they are that much better than stock but they definitely didn't degrade the sound from the system I put them in.
Also be aware that the currently available Volex 17604 cord is not made the same as the past cord that made it a recommended budget product.
Of all the cabling options (speaker, interconnects, power) aftermarket power cords have made the biggest difference in the sound. I don't really understand the "power cords can't make a difference camp". Because they do. How? Not sure. But, it is undeniable that they do.
Foster_9 and Jedinite24,
Good points. I have tried the "newer" Volex's that came with some amps I bought. They do not sound like my older brass bladed ones. The newer ones are a little skinnier (still 14/3 though) and have a nickel plated plug. Nickel seems to hurt the sound to me. I lopped off the end and replaced it with a $5 Home Depot Pass & Seymour brass one. Moved it toward the the old ones sound. I still think the newer one is okay, especially for a street price of $5-7.

Seeing as the can has been emptied and we have worms crawling all over the place :-), how about shielded vs unshielded cords? It "could" make a difference in "some" systems. That's about an hour past vague but could be dead ball on accurate.