Do powercords make a difference in sound?

Do they make a difference by upgrading stock power cords in amps, ect versus aftermarket power cords? If so, can anyone advise a good bang for the buck upgrade?
chad329
To answer the original question: based on my experience, and assuming the proper gauge for each application, *some* competently constructed power cables can affect the sound by:

a) lowering noise (line, RFI, etc); and
b) reducing impedance from the wall to the power supply vs other cables (thus improving impulse response, where required).

The audible effects can vary based on the resolution of the connecting component and the quality of its power supply, as well as affect the sound of components not necessarily directly connected with said cords (because said competently constructed cords radiate less noise, especially at the basic frequency of 50-60Hz; components that benefit so indirectly are usually phono stages)
hi rrog:

when something sounds good, where audiophiles are involved, there is usually some disagreement. what constitutes "good" sound is subjective, so, i repeat, undeniable and opinion are oxymorons.
It is really ridiculous when the
"disbelievers" start speaking like politicians who have been asked a direct question then never actually address an applicable answer.
Here it is folks, it is undeniable, it is not opinion, it is not subject to interpretation...
A well designed aftermarket powercord when compared to a typical stock powercord [in an adequately resolving system which many/most of us already have ] can be readily distinguished from the stock cable repeatedly and consistently in blind testing over and over again. I have made this claim on previous threads about this and will re-state it again: thousands of audiophiles do this all the time...it is what helps them choose WHICH aftermarket cable they are going to spend their hard earned money ON...
This is a fact. Repeatedly choosing the correct cable 100% of the time (as I can in my system) is proof that powercords are audibly different from each other.
Period. Argument over.
I sell aftermarket power cables because I absolutely feel they make a difference. However, how much of a difference they make is very system dependent. In my system, which is quite resolving, they actually make less of a difference than in some others because I already have excellent power with a dedicated line, very high quality outlet on this line, and an excellent line conditioner. Also one of my main components, the Bel Canto DAC3.5VB is fed by their VBS1 power supply, so a high quality power cord on this power supply would be a waste, in my opinion. However, when someone hears the difference that something like the VBS1 power supply makes, even in a system that already has very good power, it's hard to dismiss the importance of good power delivery. Aftermarket power cords do work, but how much you may or may not notice is based on many factors.