Do powercords make a difference in sound?

Do they make a difference by upgrading stock power cords in amps, ect versus aftermarket power cords? If so, can anyone advise a good bang for the buck upgrade?
chad329
Liguy, well, count me as one of the most interested in your findings! :) I always distinguish between noticeable differences and efficacious differences. It's one thing for an effect to be noticeable, but another to be efficacious, that is "worth it" in terms of meritorious for an upgrade. So, when you do your comparisons, for the argument underway I'm interested in noticeable differences, not whether you feel it's "worth it", which adds another layer of subjectivity.

I'm beginning to think I've hit upon the culprit in the great "Power Supply Mystery," as you seem to have heard various power cords make a difference in other systems. It's not a hearing acuity issue. Also, you have not heard a difference in your rig, but that would stand to reason if the power cords (perhaps only the stock cord and your Home Depot cord were used?) employed by you were largely the same.

Yes, I will be quite interested to hear about this. I love discussions like this, where there is mental "jousting" but without rancor and with an open mind, as you demonstrate.

Zaikesman, your thought allows me to address what might be considered name dropping. It was not my intent; I was referencing the cables I used in comparison. I could have done the same with Magnan Cables, Jenna Labs, Clarity Cables, or any number of cables I've used/reviewed (WARNING! Major Name Dropping! ;0 ) I have never done a formal review of Audioquest cables, but I have mentioned them several times in trials/comparisons I've held with them over the years because they happened to be used in significant trials/breakthroughs in my learning process.

I've conducted dozens upon dozens of listening comparisons, and when one example seems suitable for my argument I select it. I believe I could reference illustrations regarding different aspects of cable use from any of the brands I've used; i.e. conductor material, geometry, total gauge, dielectric, terminations, etc. I'm not trying to make any definitive statement about the merits of brands in this thread, merely illustrating my logic. Frankly, I'm trying not to push my preference in that regard. I don't know that it's possible to avoid the appearance of name dropping when using real examples, but the fact that I'm not making statements about the performance in relation to other cables should help in that regard. I've written enough about them that people should get the feel for my assessment of cables I've used.
In answer to your query Zaikeman Douglas_schroeder wrote:
However, I would submit that this is not the best test of power cords, and that there are many more options available. i.e. A PC with 9 or 10 tot. Ga., or one with silver OFC conductors, etc. You would perhaps find it interesting to try a Wireworld lower end PC with silver coated prongs on the plug.
Rwwear, my point wasn't the ofc (oxygen free copper) as the cable being silver coated copper. A silver conductor sounds quite a bit different than copper.