Long interconnect cables

Hi All,

I am considering moving my equipment to the side of my listening room and retaining only the amplifiers between the speakers.

If I were to do this it would obviously mean running a longer than normal interconnect from the preamplifier to the monoblocks (maybe around 4 feet). I'd be interested to hear from others who have done this and whether it represents a compromise sound-wise or whether anything can be done to ensure that the sound is not affected.

Thanks

James
vicks7
I've got an 11' pair between my preamp and monoblocks, but the capacitance is extremely low on these cables. No problem.
The best place for the amp is between the 2 speakers. The best place for the components is far away. I'm running 6 meters with no ill effects.
XLR for long runs over RCA

I do not know the length threshold however

maybe someone else does
Is there a certain distance above which it may affect the sound?
A generally applicable threshold can't be defined, because many system dependent variables are involved. IMO, though, 10 feet is unlikely to be a problem in most systems.

Relevant variables include the output impedance of the component driving the cable; the capacitance per unit length of the particular cable; whether the interface is balanced (xlr) or unbalanced (rca); the susceptibility of the particular components to ground loop issues (particularly for unbalanced interconnections); the resistance of the shield or other return conductor in the cable (particularly for unbalanced interconnections); the rfi/emi environment; and the synergy or lack thereof between the sonic effects of the cable and the overall sonic character of the system.

Regards,
-- Al