Question About NORDOST cables

I got a pair of Red Dawn II speaker cables. I was really impressed by these cable; the speed, dynamics, vocals - it's transformed the sound of my system. unfortunately not all is good; the bass suffered from a major roll off, and to make matter worse it's also lost its definition. really bad.

if it wasn't for the bass I'd hit the jack pot with these cables. I really like what's done to the system. in fact, I just got a pair of Heimdall's IC's. there's a general improvement, and the bass has also improved a little, but I feel like there's some kind of imbalance between vocals and other instruments.

the Red Dawn has to go. that's clear.

what I'm not sure of is whether I should stay with Nordost, and upgrade to the Heimdall's speaker cables, or move to something else. I'd really like to get the Siltech 330L, but is out of my budget atm. I can get the Heimdall now, or wait until have enough funds for the 330L's.

I really could with some other opinions/thoughts on the matter.
many thanks,

Massimo

speakers: Paradigm S1v3(P-Be)
youngatheart
that's good news (to my wallet dismay); 10% is not too bad - I was expecting it to be more - not that they're not expensive already. having heard what the Heimdall's can do, I will probably upgrade to the Heimdall 2 once I've the disposable income, but I'm pretty satisfied atm.

I was hoping to see in your first impression of the Series2 the word *warm*, but I didn't...:D

something I forgot to say, which I think is worth mentioning, is that there also seems to be a quieter background (not really sure how to put it). I've been quite concise in my impression(for lack of better words), but I mean everything I said. to say that these cables have transformed the sound in my system is not an exaggeration.

you know when you listen to entire albums and songs that normally wouldn't... something astonishing happened.

Xti16, do you use jumpers with the Frey's? I'd like to get the Norse's set.

thanks all for the input, much appreciated.
Youngatheart, I think the marketing hype is getting to you a little bit, IMO.
Nordost is now saying that they do not recommend bi-wiring with their cables...IMHO, that's a bunch of BS. Adding jumpers to a speaker that can accept bi-wiring is IMO foolhardy and not the way to go. The best way to bi-wire is to have two separate cables feeding each speaker...( which I'm sure Nordost would agree with since they can sell twice the amount of cable).
I used to do this until I acquired my Nordost bi-wire cables. There is no discernible difference in my system with two cables vs. a bi-wire set up cable. OTOH, using jumpers, one can easily hear the loss of information. So, let's ask ourselves why Nordost is now saying that they don't believe in a bi-wire end and are no longer offering this option....Could it be that they were spending more labor on creating the bi-wire end and were not getting compensated for it. As I recall, the cost of the shotgun (single wire...they shouldn't get away with calling it shotgun as it isn't) was the same as the bi-wire ends. Does my theory make sense to everyone?
well, if I could afford two separate runs that would be my choice, believe me. fact is, I'm already using the jumpers that came with the speakers, so if the Norse's are better than the stock jumpers I've everything to gain.

at the end of the day what matters is what I hear; I don't care what Nordost or anybody else says. I wasn't happy with the Red Dawn, and I said so. my impressions of the Heimdall's have absolutely nothing do to with marketing, hype, or with what you or anybody else may say, at all. nothing.

there's no hype or exaggeration in what I've been trying to say... those are my exact first impression, pure and simple. I just cannot fault these cables, other that some brightness, which I may as well be confusing with clarity, and the bass possibly a little lean.

whether these impressions will change in a few weeks, I don't know, but I'm happy with the result atm.

thanks for the imput :)
Nordost claim you get better performance by using single wiring and THEIR jumpers and cables.

Sure, you may be hearing a loss of information if you use the crappy brass jumpers found on every speaker. Also the actual cable geometry has a lot to do with how well single vs bi-wiring will work.

So unless you have actual listening experience with Nordost cables it is just speculation.
Youngatheart - Yes the series2 is warmer sounding. To my ears when you have more bass and a more liquid sound I consider that warmer. As far as the originals to me they do have more 'air' between the instruments and vocals with a little more detail. Now to me I call that less liquid sounding. Both are great cables but they very different sounding. More different than going from RD to Heimdall.
Daveyf
Could it be that they were spending more labor on creating the bi-wire end and were not getting compensated for it. As I recall, the cost of the shotgun (single wire...they shouldn't get away with calling it shotgun as it isn't) was the same as the bi-wire ends. Does my theory make sense to everyone?
The cost difference is ONE pair of connectors at one end of the cable and the labor to put them on.

I do agree Nordost calls their bi-wire and shotgun incorrectly. A true bi-wire is 2 separate runs of cables. Many cable companies also refer to that as shotgun. Now if you look at the construction of the original Heimdalls there is 4 groups of conductors. The series2 have 2 groups of conductors. There are less conductors in the series2 but they are a larger awg wires. Heimdall originals have twenty four 24awg wires where the series2 have eighteen 22awg wires. The overall effective gauge stays the same. The Frey2 OTOH has twenty two 22awg wires where the originals have twenty four 24awg wires so the overall effective goes up by 1 with the series2.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/awgcalculator.html
Is there marketing hype? I'm sure there is in a lot of cases but you really have to compare the originals to the series2 side by side.

As far as Nordost not making 'bi-wire' cables I'm sure it will cost them some business and I can not believe a company would do that without good cause. IMO it can't be to force you into buying 2 sets of cables because of the double cost to the consumer. As far as I can tell they still offer bi-wire in the Vahalla and Odin BUT not in the Leif or Norse2 series.