20 amp power cords vs 15 amp power cords

Forgive the basic lack of electronics here, but i need to put a separate power cord from my amp (100 watt pure class a) to a specially installed 20 amp line for this purpose. Most of the cords i see (including very expenseive ones) say on the plug that they are 15 amp. Does this matter at all? It seems I should be buying a wire that is rated for 20 amps if that is what the line is. (Power cords will be going to torus line conditioner and aforementioned class a amp)music will be nearfield moderate volume rock and jazz. thanks mike
emster
thanks for the responses. my ee knowledge being nonexistent they were very informative. my takeaway is the 20 amp plug is decided by the device and its female ending, not the amp capacity. simple is good for me.
Sorry to complain but those posts above have all sorts of theory, and no practical advice for buying a damn power cord for your amp.
03-19-12: Elizabeth

Theory?

I gave the facts mam.... Just the facts....

Speaking of facts an after market power cord can be purchased with a 20 amp female IEC connector on one end with a 15 amp NEMA 5-15P plug on the other end, or the other way around.....

NEMA 5-15P plug.

NEMA 5-20P plug.
And to confuse the OP even more...
My Furman REF20I power conditioner had originally a 20 amp connector for it A/C input. i swapped it out for a Furutech 15 amp IEC, so i could use the far more common 15 amp aftermarket cords.
03-19-12: Elizabeth

YUUUUUP!

And voided the safety listing on the unit if it had one.
See them 20 amp receptacles on the back of the unit? To get a UL/CSA Listing or any other recognized safety listing the unit was required to have the 20 amp male IEC connector.
If your 20 amp lineis protected by a 20 amp breaker then I would use a 20 amp rated power chord. If the breaker is only 15 amp then the 15 amp chord will be ok.
03-18-12: Ahendler

How about a little radio that sets on a kitchen counter that has a 15 amp plug and a 2 wire 18 gauge power cord?

The branch circuit is 20 amp.
Yeah safety listing. Who cares. The unit was purchased used. The warranty was gone.
As for the legal ramifications.. go right ahead trying to scare me with insurance BS..
That bugaboo is useless unless you pop in with an actual case with the state and court docs/case number and link showing the claim was refused based on grounds the unit or cord or whatever (of some audiophile) was modified.) AND the insurance company won! Go ahead, find one.. can't? gee wonder why all the spouting of scare tactics then..
When someone posts the case, and it can be verified, THEN start making lps smacking sounds.. Until then 'can' it.

Just trying to make crap claims about scary insurance BS will not cut it. UL is just a marketing tool. No laws are involved. The building codes of various states and municipalites cover in wall.. The laws about consumer products cover the manufacture. not the user.
Courts are based on LAW, not hearsay.
( I am just tired of folks who must work for the "if you mod A/C you will die" sect/club.. claiming you will die/be hurt bad/loose money/lose insurance if you mod anything.)