Massed strings and large choral groups

A longtime audio dealer and fellow audiophile told me that massed strings and large choral groups are two of the hardest things for a system to reproduce. Do you agree?
goldenear1948
Yeah. Not "The hardest", but when they can be heard as distinct voices or instruments, it is an ear opener.
Usually all you hear is a big blur.
First time I ever heard all distinct voices was listening to Infinity RSIIa at a Chicago dealer back in 1984 or so.
Carmina Burana... wow.
I bought those speakers and had them for 17 years
I absolutely agree with this. I would also suggest that large choral groups are harder than massed strings. I think some of this is due to how the recording sessions are miked, but you I have heard big differences using different amps in my system. I have recently enjoyed some hips using 1 or 2 voices per part vs a huge chorus. Much more enjoyable for me.
I can't say, one way or the other, if large choral groups are harder to record than other types but when I hear a really good one, it grabs my attention and refuses to let go. There's something inherently right when one hears well recorded human voices. It's hard to ignore (some Eric Whitacre samples recently had me gobsmacked at just how beautiful it can all sound).

When anything other than human voices are recorded, we can take for granted that it was the way it's supposed to sound, or at least very close. With human voices, it's something we can all immediately identify with and critique.

All the best,
Nonoise
Hello,

Yes, generally, I would agree.
A critical proviso, as articulated earlier, is the recording!

Regards,

Sam