Soooo many choices.

I think my next upgrade will be to add a DAC. Thinking of somewhere in the 500-1000$ range, used is fine. But, I've been reading lots of you folks' posts and sale ads and test/reviews and ya'll aren't making it easy! lol

We have wireless here in the house and adding streamer capabilities to the system is planned. But getting gear that's better than the mainstream stuff I'm used to, and choosing which will work to make the end result happen wisely, and, picking which we can afford in the correct order is making it real tough to piece it together.
doggitter
If you are considering HD streaming you might want to rethink wireless.

I had a terrible time with wireless streaming WAV files using Apple products - in the end I ran cable to the router. That was one of the reasons I looked at the stream magic 6.

I now have music on a NAS drive wired to the router and my iMac wired to the same router - 24/192 playback no problem

We do have several wireless routers in the area, so perhaps this contributed to the frequent dropouts?

Lots of people did not experience the same problem - maybe it was my router.

Anyhow, water under the bridge now :-)
FYI - I have no experience with "hi-fi streamers" - I first used an Apple TV2 and used it until I discovered its shortcomings. Ended up putting in cable to overcome those.

Then fate dealt a blow and I ended up moving my iMac to perform streaming functions.

I've always thought that hi-fi streamers should be more robust than appleTV-like solutions, but I've never tried one

Could someone with experience with any hi-fi streamers help out here please.

Many thanks
I stream 1080p movies with full surround sound wirelessly in my home. I highly suggest using wireless N. If wired is an issue you can use the power line adapters. I have used those as well with success.