Who R U?

A while back Garfish mentioned he lked the idea of getting to know some of us better.As no one has started a thread like this before I will take the plunge.I have been involved in and read many heated exchanges here in AudioGon.I hope no one attacks me for this thread saying "who cares about you,this is audio" Anyway,Im 45 and live in W.N.Y.I have never been married but have a music loving 11 year old daughter who lives with me.I have been a nurse for 20 years.Before that I was a Navy Corpsman for several years.I recently became engaged (first time) to a beautiful 30 year old music loving woman.At my age a 30 year old is a keeper and I have never been happier!! My other interests??Im into vinyl,who has time for anything else??
david99
Nice idea to know some of our fellow 'philes from a more personal perspective. I may qualifiy as the "old fart" in the crowd, but here's my background. I am almost 58 y.o., was born and raised in the Washington, DC, area, graduated from the Univ of Washington in Seattle (followed by MS from Univ of Utah). I served in the US Army for 7 years during the Vietnam era, and had two tours of duty in Germany. In the years since the early 1970's, I have worked as a human resources manager, and as part-time and full-time graduate professor, teaching in Washington state and on US military bases in the western Pacific. I am currently the HR Director for a non-profit biotechnology research firm in Seattle. I have a 31 year old son who is about to complete his PhD in history at Arizona State Univ, and have a terrific 2 year old grandson. I began my audio hobby in 1964, after buying some Fisher kits (tube tuner, tube integrated amp). I have also sold high-end audio equipment on several occasions between 1974 and 1993. In the last 3 years, I have expanded my interest in audio to include home theater, and have assembled a system that pleases me, but will see further upgrades over the next year (Adcom GTP-750 pre/pro; Bryston 4B-ST and 5B-ST amps; VPI HW-19 Mk 4 TT with Rega RB-900 arm; Lehmann Audio Black Cube phono pre; Rega Jupiter CD player; Sony 550D DVD; JVC S-VHS; Sony WEGA 36" TV; Vandersteen 3A Signature main speakers, with Vandy VCC-1 Signature center speaker; B&W surround speakers; Kimber Kable 8TC bi-wire speaker cable; Kimber Silver Streak and AudioQuest Ruby x3 IC's). The next, and perhaps final, addition to my system will be a SACD player (altho' I intend to wait at least another 1-2 years to see what standard finally becomes common). My other hobbies include: jazz, blues, and classical music (about 4000 LP's and CD's); wood carving (NW Indian masks, etc.); fly fishing; scuba diving; marine photography; good food and wine; rare Scotch whiskies; and UW Husky football.
Hi Garfish, I too like Shirley Horne and was lucky enough to see her at a NYC jazz club several years ago. It was a memorable experience. I have learned my lesson now and I don't say anything about Diana Krall. I am sorry for my part in what went on way back when. Glad you are discovering and enjoying jazz.
I love this site.My name is Todd,I was born in Charlotte NC. Relocated in late 60's to Greenville NC where I was raised. I'm 37 yrs.old and my first system consisted of a Realistic 15 watt a channel receiver,Gerrard turntable,& realistic two way speakers. I was 12 yrs. old & bought the gear with money made working in tobacco( my father could not understand that kind of money for a music box)I currently live in Greenvile NC, I'm an owner of a janitorial supply distributorship. My wife is a Doctor and she is great when it comes to my expensive hobby.I listen to eveything except rap junk. I also collect vintage high end watches,enjoy fine wines & fast cars. Thanks for great thread. PS I have met a lot of great people in my selling and buying of gear.
Swampwalker-- yes, eerie to have two "hole diggers" on this site. I've done a few wetland determinations myself. Sdcampbell-- glad to see I'm not quite the "old fart" of the forum. Too bad about the Dawgs this year (a worthy opponent). Yes, I'm a U of O DUCK fan-- Quack, Quack. Rayhall, thanks, and I'm learning better cyberchat manners myself. Eldragon-- college and an 8 to fiver ain't everything. You've had an incredible lifetime of travel and experiences that I'll never see. It's great to meet all you guys. Cheers. Craig.
hi folks! my name is jojo from san francisco, i love this site! without it, it would not have been possible to upgrade my system... anyway i'm 40 years old, and new at this game (real hi-fi stuff). musically, it all started in the early seventies, listening to top 40s, it was soul music back then, i've been hooked eversince. fortunately i have a understanding wife, who lets me dissapear into my music room downtairs whenever i feel the need, my seven year old sometimes joins me, and she mostly knows the tunes that i listen to. like most one of these days my dream system will become reality, life has been good so far, and one thing for sure, this hobby will never end... thanks ps- i mostly listen to: electronic music, dub, lite jazz, trip hop, brazilian, dance (prefer deep-house).