Who R U?

A while back Garfish mentioned he lked the idea of getting to know some of us better.As no one has started a thread like this before I will take the plunge.I have been involved in and read many heated exchanges here in AudioGon.I hope no one attacks me for this thread saying "who cares about you,this is audio" Anyway,Im 45 and live in W.N.Y.I have never been married but have a music loving 11 year old daughter who lives with me.I have been a nurse for 20 years.Before that I was a Navy Corpsman for several years.I recently became engaged (first time) to a beautiful 30 year old music loving woman.At my age a 30 year old is a keeper and I have never been happier!! My other interests??Im into vinyl,who has time for anything else??
david99
hi swampwalker, there are more & more preamps that offer dedicated h-t proccessor outputs - when ewe select this output, your main preamp defaults all its controls to the processor, so ewe can use the processor's volume control, etc, to run *all* the speakers. the rest of the time, the two main audio speakers don't see any of the processor electronics - ewe have the two main speakers driven by the preamp, & the surround speakers connected to the processor. preamps i knoew about that do this are made by linn, sonic-frontiers, vtl. i'm sure there are others. doug
Doug is completely correct. I bought a Rowland Coherence preamp that has a bypass input that defaults volume control to the theater processor. another way to ay that is that it has unity gain. funvtionally, when I listen to music the HT is completely out of the loop.When tha HT is going, i must choose the bypass circuit and the HT processor treats the main spaeakers as it's own front channels.David
I just figured out something cool. The adcom gfp-750 has a processor input. This is just a switched RCA-RCA passthru. I run the variable outputs of my XA7 CD player into it. This gives me the ability to use the XA7's CD remote for volume and track selection. Very nice.
My name is Tom and i used to shop (as often as possible) at Accutronics Audio in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I live in Livonia which is about 25-30 min east. The guy who owned Accutronics, Arnie, started this website (yea!) and then shut down his store (boo!). It was the best hi-fi store I'd ever been in during my 22 yr "career" as an "audiofile". 5 rooms of high end gear (specializing in SETs) and 5 (or more) rooms of used gear. This was a two story building right across from the University of Michigan campus diag. You guys would have loved it! Arnie got in high end used stuff and going in there was like this website come to life. If you waited long enough you'd see just about everything. I am extremely lucky! My lovely wife, Anja, bought me a Mesa Baron amp for my birthday, and then, 3 yrs later, bought me a pair of Cary 572SETs for another birthday. In between these times she contributed her year end work bonus towrad my purchase of Proac 2.5s. She helped me choose speakers as I brought home 11 pairs before making a choice. She could listen to any speaker for five min and tell me everything I needed to know about them. Proac Tablette Sigs - too bright! Fingernails on blackboard. Proac 2s - very nice but soft and a bit distant. Alon 11 - look great but not real musical sounding. Proac 2.5s - just right! Unfortunately, Anja never sits with me in the listening room. She has to be doing something while music is on. Anyone else find this true with the women you've know in your life? Anyway, I love my wife exactly as she is and tonight feels like a Sonny Rollins/Archie Shepp/Charles Mingus kind of night. And I'll get about 45 min while she gets ready for bed. No complaints at all since Anja was a competative Latin and Ballroom dancer and looks exactly the same as when she "retired" (she stills teaches and competes in Pro/Ams) a few years ago. Again, lucky me!
Hi Tom, You are lucky! Anja sounds wonderful and I'm glad you appreciate her. Happy listening, Tom