Who R U?

A while back Garfish mentioned he lked the idea of getting to know some of us better.As no one has started a thread like this before I will take the plunge.I have been involved in and read many heated exchanges here in AudioGon.I hope no one attacks me for this thread saying "who cares about you,this is audio" Anyway,Im 45 and live in W.N.Y.I have never been married but have a music loving 11 year old daughter who lives with me.I have been a nurse for 20 years.Before that I was a Navy Corpsman for several years.I recently became engaged (first time) to a beautiful 30 year old music loving woman.At my age a 30 year old is a keeper and I have never been happier!! My other interests??Im into vinyl,who has time for anything else??
david99
Hi, I'm David, 58, living by the sea in Wales, UK. Married with grown up kids (one an investment banker, the other a pro rugby player in France). I work as advisor to a number of high technology companies and look after investors interests in high tech businesses.

My journey into audio started at college with the usual low cost set-up using British valve (tube) equipment such as Quad and Leak. Over the years system has developed (mostly forward, sometimes backward) through the usual steps with electrostatics (Quads, Dayton Wrights, Accoustats, Martin Logans) to a long and rewarding association with Infinity RS-1b speakers driven by Audio Research amps and today to Wilsons driven by Pass X1000 monoblocks.

Taste in music is very wide from Bach to Opera to reggae to pop. I like to go to the opera as often as I can (Covent Garden in London, San Francisco, Moscow) and I'm still striving to recreate that sound at home. Getting close but not there yet!

Besides audio, I run steam trains in the garden and I'm into photography and also fine wines.

Any audiophiles on the US side of the pond who need help, advice or a contact this side of the pond, please feel free to contact me.
Welcome to the latest posters.
Lots of new members here who havent posted their bio yet.
Come on guys and gals!!!
Hey Tim,it looks like it's going to be a while until we have to spend some money on a CD or LP for the winner of the 500th post.:~)
Dave, Maybe I can help you get there by a "bio update". It has been going on 3 years since I first put in my admittedly "thin" bio. I'm now 35 and my kids are aged 5 and 4. I still have the same gig at an investment firm doing individual and small business retirement planning. My wife STILL thinks I'm crazy with the audio bug and can't understand my need for "bigger, better, faster". Whenever I put a new componenet or cable in I always ask her opinion and she always says "It sounds good" then spoils that remark with the follow-up "but I also thought it sounded good before". She still sits in her chair out of the sweet spot (to the left of the left speaker in fact) and insists that she can hear it "just fine" from there. I seem to go at this hobby in waves and have found I usually tinker with my system in the winter. Not only am I inside more but the lack of humididty seems to improve the sound. Also, living in Dallas, there is less demand for electrical power in the winter and brownouts are very rare, which seems to also impact the overall experience (maybe I AM nuts!). This past year I decided to take the hi-rez plunge and bought an SACD/DVD player. I am very happy with about 80% of the titles I own - the other 20% are no better than their CD counterparts IMO. I guess that just goes to show you can't turn a poor recording into an excellent one by simply adding the latest technology! I'll sign off now and update again in another 3 years:-) Enjoy the music! - Tony
I know what your up to Dave, your trying to be the 500th, sneaky. :o) If its you that wins your getting Barry Manilow or something! lol
All right -- heading for the 500th post. Here goes.

Just a simpel guy -- two only children (one is 28, married and with one child) the other is 4 and one-half and beautiful. Trying to make up for the mistakes I made the first time around in some ways. They're both wonderful though, the eldest is a school teacher.

Anyway -- got the real audio bug in the Army in Germany early 70's. Listened to and bought some interesting stuff. Dumped it off and on and just migrated back into the hobby.

Only started tube-rolling with the current rig (nothing to brag about actually -- deference to my spouse -- however I have hung onto some key pieces that I dearly love.

I'm on track to get the final "replacement" piece for what I once had -- R2R deck -- Revox. That way I can play the stuff I recorded oh so many years ago again. It'll be interesting to hear it through the new stuff.

Oh yeah -- Southern CA is my home, always has been. It's amazing what a little disposable income will put you through these days. I always look to maximize the limitations set on by home arrangements and spousal requirements. Otherwise it would be dedicated room etc. Still, I see, smell and taste the ocean everyday when I wake up because I spent the money on the home in the location not on the available space to do the audio thing.

Still in mid-fi mode by most accoutns but I love what I've got (probably want to do something with speakers soon though).