Most sophisticated and intelligent musician

Let's stay with not classical musicians.
It's John McLaughlin for me.
inna
Keith Jarrett, without a doubt, he's the most intelligent musician that ever lived. Who else on the list can play classical equally as well as jazz? The man's a genius, but he's often moody...but then again reportedly so was Beethoven!
I think Mr Jarrett should be called Dr Jarrett, as he can sure
cure my Insomnia,lol...................
Bobby McFerrin gets my vote for most intelligent vocal artist. Just picked up VOCAabuLarieS and it's simply brilliant. Music & Sonics - 10+++
Assuming we are talking about people and not music, can we please back up a minute here and define "sophisticated"?

I may be wrong, I think a "sophisticated" person might be well traveled, liberally educated, stylish, well mannered, know something about food, architecture, music and literature in more than one culture, speak more than one language fluently etc.

Intelligence can take tests and write dissertations, but it takes sophistication to travel the world with grace and wisdom.

So off the top of my head, one could be a virtuoso musician and/or have a PhD in astrophysics, yet remain an uneducated and unsophisticated person.

Herbie Hancock strikes me as both "sophisticated" and "intelligent" while also being world class musician. Next on my list might be Mick Jagger.

I started to nominate Roger Waters, but his ego, politics and I am still a rock star schtick in the end knock him off my truly "sophisticated" list.

And if we are talking about music, I find it hard to think that any music could be truly sophisticated or intelligent, unless it was created by a truly intelligent and sophisticated person.

Otherwise it would not be sophisticated and intelligent, merely pretentious.

Regards,