How did your sound system evolve?

How did your sound system evolve?
Here is how my sound system evolved over the past 40 years on a 'beer budget' and with a few missteps and a few side way purchases: http://arcamadeus.simplesite.com/305336804
arcamadeus
Yes, nice web page!

For me (less graphic):

pre-1977: the low fi years, various compact boxes making music

1977: First real hifi system, all Lafayette gear built around a 40 watt integrated amp and heil AMT speakers (and many blown tweeeters). My first real job working at Lafayette

1978-1981: My second real job working at Tech Hifi. Acquire my first real keeper speakers (OHM Ls, still got'em) and various other gear to go with it.

1982-1986: Acquire my first "dream speakers", a pair of OHM Walsh 2s and a nice Tandberg receiver to run them with. Then I become a poor grad student for a few years.

1986 - 1992 - THe Magnepan years

1993 - 2007 - Not too much changes. Add a nice California Audio Labs CD player, some decent Carver separates and various other speakers and toys to dabble with.

2007 - present - Start auditioning modern gear again and thinking its time to get really serious about this stuff. I am where I am now today and have been very happy for another few years again now.