Need 1984 SONY CDP 701 ES repaired

I have a Sony CD player from 1984, model CDP 701ES that needs repair. The disc tray extends out and stops - with a disc it retracts into the machine - and that is all. There is a red LED that indicates the player does not recognize the disc is there. I doubt the laser is damaged, the player never had that much use. Why bother? Because this player (otherwise) is in pristine condition without a mark on it. To a collector it must have some value. Any thoughts?
128x128wicoppee
There is a red LED that indicates the player does not recognize the disc is there

Just throwing this out there, but is the disk a normal one and not a cd-r or SACD ?

If you plan on keeping the player, have you thought or tried to contact Sony ?
3 reasons to scrap it:
1-the cost of a repair will probably be more than buying a used ES 15-20 years newer.
2-DAC's have come a long way in 25 years. You won't believe the difference.
3-How long until something else goes?

Sony's are nice but 25 year old cd players of any brand aren't worth fixing.
I'm with Elevick; it's truly not worth trying to repair it. And I seriously doubt there are many older CD players that are "collector's items". Maybe a California Audio Labs Tempest, but that's pushing it.

My advice is to simply replace it with a used Sony, Denon, Music Hall, NAD, Jolida, Rotel or the like that's a more recent vintage. I think you're going to see a very significant improvement in the sound.

Michael