New Esoteric P02 D02

Hello,

Seems like there is a new set up separates from Esoteric. The P02 D02. Hven't seen any info out there at all, but it is for sale already at retailers. Not a substitute of the P03 D03 as expected, that are still selling as well, but a new category in between de 01s and 03s. DACs and inputs seem like an upgrade of the K01.

Anyone has any info, or heard of this? You can read about it at Esoteric parent company home page (in Japan but in English).

Price in Europe is 3.000 Euros higher than the 03s per unit (so +6000 EUros higher in total)

Any feedback, info news?

Thanks
Eli
eelii08
Hi Operalover, at 500 hours D-02 was unlikely to be broken in.... In addition to the basic 500 hours breakin, D-02 likely requires another 500 hours on each targeted filter+upsampling value. Before the machine has settled completely, D-02 is likely to exhibit some residual aggression. On the other hand, an exhuberant stage/imaging may exists by design.

A D-01 unit would have had time to settle down for quite a spell... D-02 at 500 hours is a mere youngling DAC, with all the emotional problems of a tempestuous adolescence.

On the other hand, I freely admit that I am extrapolating from my experience with single box X-01 and K-01, which is a somewhat risky logical proposition... Pharma should comment, having had significant direct experience with most Esoteric front ends.

G.
Before I decided to give up D-02 (sold already), it continued to run day and night until around 800 hr.
Until the point I thought why I needed to spend several thousands hours just to break in D-02, with unknown result?
On the other hand, second-hand D-01 VUK is readily available with well broken-in.
So D-02 was sold, D-01 was sold, and now D-01 VUK is in home; very relax, with good details at the same time.
Hey Opera Lover, Spent better part of yesterday doing a Ypsilon DAC 100 Esoteric D-02 comparison. I've had my D-02 a year now, and would say it is as broken in, settled in, etc. anyway it is "in". The D-02 is by far the best Esoteric I've have heard, and I had the X-01/D2 and the K-01 after that, I still have the X-01/D2 for that matter.
The Esoteric sound as a whole is extremely detailed with incredible resolution, sounds are easy to deliniate and are very well sorted. That hasn't changed from the X-01 to the K-01 to the D-02/P-02, the progression has just gotten easier to listen too. No doubt the current Esoteric stuff is the best so far.
But, if I had it all over to do again, I would have paid better attention to the Hybrid stuff that is out there. After the Ypsilon DAC100 A/B with the D-02, I would not hesitate to move to the Ypsilon. And I love the Esoteric D-02/P-02, but overall, there is a general lack of musicality to the overall sound that was easily noticed in the Ypsilon. Now the Ypsilon has a tube in the output stage and does not upsample at all. In fact it only plays Redbook, and does so at a State of the Art playback. The listening was a pleasure . Now not to throw the D-02 out the window, I am still very pleased with the D-02, it does most things at a very high level, it just lacks a relaxedness to the overall presentation.
So I can see why you would be attracted to the D-01 Vuk, as it surely the most relaxed sound Esoteric has to date.
Hey everyone, Where have you all been. I just set up my new Ypsilon Aleius Amps. They are Hybrid tube input stage, solid state output stage, zero negitive feedback. The D-02/P-02 is already more relaxed and these amps have only hours on them.

Do any of you have any experience with the Esoterics with tubes in the chain. Hope to get this thread fired up again. Hope all is well

Tom
I am waiting to hear the new Esoteric D1 Grandioso converter that is replacing d01vuk. I will compare it to d02, d03 and I will try to hear dCS Puccini one more time.
D02 still sounds a bit forward and dry for my taste. According to some European reviews K series players roll off treble a bit earlier than previous players with SACD. I still like SACDs better on D03(more fluent and musical if not as detailed) than D02.
D01vuk and even D03 sounds more laidback. There is definitely old and new sound of Esoteric.
I am hoping that the new D1 Grandioso will offer best of both worlds.