How does one get off the merry-go-round?

I'm interested in hearing from or about music lovers who have dropped out of the audio "hobby." I don't mean you were content with your system for 6 weeks. I mean, you stood pat for a long time, or--even better--you downsized...maybe got rid of your separates and got an integrated.

(I suppose if you did this, you probably aren't reading these forums any more.)

If this sounds like a cry for help, well, I dunno. Not really. I'm just curious. My thoughts have been running to things like integrated amps and small equipment racks and whatnot even as I continue to experiment and upgrade with vigor (I'm taking the room correction plunge, for example.) Just want to hear what people have to say on the subject.

---dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xdrubin
Newbee, I am praying for you....and me too. My first reply was in 06/01, and now I am under the impression that the answer is NOT AVAILIBLE. One cannot get off the merry-go round, unless, as Cyclonicman suggests, one gets off the merry-go-round and on the ferris wheel.

The only chance you MIGHT have is to avoid all print media, any Hi-Fi shows, and ALL internet audio website's. Maybe then you can escape....however, if you are here, responding to threads, there is no hope whatsoever.

Cheers,
John
It doesn't work to relocate from one temptation to another. Any AA person will tell you that there is no geographical cure.
First you have to admit that you are powerless over audio.
Then watch your behavior - you will find yourself rationalizing and finding ways to cheat or bumping up against circumstances that have to be considered unavoidable. These are signs of denial. (Yeah, I know it's a river). Some of you will turn to religion to escape your bonds. Others will transfer to another obsession like computer audio.

Ultimately, the only way out is through. You have to confront your self and your fears. You must give up your suckle. Wean yourself. Pull the plug. There is no gentle way.

Now go have a drink.

In my opinion the best way to get off is simply getting divorce. That is right. Just let you x wife have it, and wish her luck. No doubt her new boyfriend will pick up where you left off.

It could be cheaper then staying married.
Drastic suggestion. Surely you are not serious.

And besides being foolish, such a move guarantees no cure. It merely assigns your blame to another temporarily.

Remember, you cannot escape yourself.

It does no good to stop blaming your speakers and start blaming your wife. The problem will stay with you.