CES in Las Vegas worth the trip?

I'm considering going to CES show in Las Vegas (jan 9-13 I believe). Biggest reason, I'd love to go somewhere where I can hear different setups, different speakers, different amps, etc.

Do you think it's worth the trip?
128x128dennis_the_menace
Dennis:

The CES can be interesting and lots of fun for an audiophile, but don't go with the expectation that you will hear great sound. Many of the audio systems -- even the better ones -- are stuck in hotel rooms that are far from optimal for good sound reproduction. However, you can still get an idea of what's new, setups, etc. After you attend, you may not care to go to another CES, but I encourage all audiophiles to attend at least one major show, if only as a learning experience.
Sdcampbell is correct about the sound at CES. However, it is a great learning experience to speak to the designers and importers as well as meeting other audiophiles. It's about the only chance to see this much equipment and software in this short period of time.

Think of it as a social event rather than an opportunity to hear the best high end sound has to offer.

There is also the possibility of making a great buy on something you always wanted. I've bought equipment at below dealer cost from tired exhibitors that didn't want to drag their gear back home. This is especially true for overseas exhibitors offered US Dollars in cash and no expense of return air shipping back to their country.

After the show each day there are groups of people that team up and dine together. Some of the most memorable nights of my life have included dinner parties with audio names that frequent these posts. As you might imagine, some have personalities as outrageous as their equipment and often the mix of two or more at the same table make for an unforgettable experience.
You should go! I went to my first C.E.S. last year, and the range of high end products is amazing. Like Sdcampbell said, most of the rooms have dreadful accoustics, but you can still make a comparison about relative sonic signatures, and just the way the actual gear looks vs. photos is worth the take! Plus the people (some living legends are there!) and info will greatly improve your audio savvy as well as learning about forthcoming gear and projects WAY AHEAD of reports in audio mags. Plus, there's never a dull moment in Vegas! Sorry "Big Apple" residents, but the city that never sleeps is really Las Vegas, NOT New York! Don't forget that there are TWO SHOWS...the C.E.S. and the EXPO (formerly called the SHOW). Anyone know if the EXPO will be held at the Tuscany again this year?
You definitely should go to the CES--it is fun and you get to see equipments from other countries that would never get to the dealer's showroom. Also, you get see a lot of new video and telecommuication gadgets.

This will be my fifth trip and have already got my airplane ticket. I can't wait.