Can Home Theater be "High End"?

I have an ongoing arguement with a friend of mine about this topic. What are your thoughts on this subject guys? Who considers home theater to be capable of "high end" sound and why? Or is it just all about high spl and super low rumble? Let's hear from ya!!
kgb540
As someone who custom designs and engineers hometheaters from an accoustical, visual, structural, design, and visual standpoint, I would add that, as in two channel audio, you can build a satisfying audiophile set up for HT, at all price/ambission levels, just like in 2 channel systems! I've ussually found that given the complexity of sytems usually ivolved in 5.1 channels vs 2 channel set ups, and considering the source material recorded (mixed) for movies, I'd say that the more refined experience is usally going to come out of the 2 channel system more readily, with a lot less $$$ output! The 2 channel recordings, as a whole, are simply more pure sounding than a movie mix to begin with, which would warrant a certain amount of inherrant compromise in sonics (to a point) for the movie source material! All things being on an equal playing field however, I think your going to find that It takes a lot more know how to squeeze a more refined sound experience out of a HT set up(at all price points) than with a dedicated 2 channel set up....There's simply a lot more variables to consider with HT! But, as with all equipement related considerations, there are certain tools (equipment choices) that one can zero in on, at any given budget, that will help maximize one's experience bassed on one's needs and expectations, given the medium of choice! If you'd like some suggestions, or even some quotes, I'd be happy to throw some your way! Best to ya...Alex
Besides, are there any movie soundtracks that sound as refined and natural as the best stereo discs? Not from what I've heard, and I've heard some of the so-called best on the so-called best HT setups. While it is possible to make an HT setup that's also high-end for music, the aesthetic is fundamentally different. In HT the visuals distract you. And the mix favors boomy bass and ear piercing highs. Ultimately, if you're an abs. sound kind of guy, movie sound just isn't optimized to do acoustic instruments right. Even the human voice sounds processed and electronic.
Yes, but practically speaking, no. The concept of high-end sound hinges on the faithful reproduction of the original recorded event. For film the equivalent recorded event is the sound stage mix. Assuming you have a well designed room, there's no reason why the sound stage mix cannot be accurately recreated by a home theatre system. The practical problem is the well designed room. 2 channel systems are difficult to set up. Setting up a 5 or 7 channel system is proportionally even more difficult. Then there's the bass. By their very nature home theatre is full range with high levels of bass. Acheiving smooth, deep and powerful bass is never easy. A dedicated, professionally designed room is a nearly a requirement for a high end home theatre. Practically speaking most home theatre systems are mid-fi.
Probably not, at least not in my 13x22 room, believe me I've tried. The speaker placements required for high end audio to yield the best in terms of imaging, depth, and focus are NOT compatible with home theater use. For HT they should be roughly the same distance as the center channel, if you move the center channel out from the wall the HT is messed up. You can use hi-end equipment both for HT and stereo, but the part of the equation everyone forgets about - the room itself - rarely allows both to work well together. It's always a compromise and true megabuck audiophiles never compromise their two channel playback. Sorry, if it was just a matter of equipment I'd be agreeing with you, but in terms of actual use... HomeTheater can't be high end (unless you compromise your HT setup to accomodate it).
Yes, try the new Calfornia Audio Labs ss-2500 sp and the rest of the system. Finally you have equipment that can do both. Is this stuff as good as the best 2 channel stuff, no. But it is better than a lot of stuff considered hi-end. I have auditioned almost all surround gear and this stuff is the best that I have heard.