Coaxial or Optical

I am just getting my new HT system together. It includes an Onkyo 676 (old Adcom seperates for Stereo), Pioneer Elite DV-37, and NHT 2.3A's and matching center and surrounds. Should I use coaxial or optical to connect the DVD to the receiver? Does it make a difference? How much do I need to spend that will make a difference? I am using an 8 year old Sony 32" XBR. For video, I only have S video, can I connect to the receiver first and then to the TV? Does this degrade the signal. I should have it up tomorrow. Any input will be really appreciated.
pablo1
If you have Toslink digital outputs/inputs don't bother with optical connections as the Toslink, in my experience is inferior sounding to the coax connection.

However, if you have AT&T optical connections you may want to experiment between optical and coax. Give The Cable Company a ring and see if they will lend you some ATT cable to try out. They have a library of cables for try-out and purchase. www.fatwyre.com is their WebSite address.

Tell them I sent you.

Tim O'Connor
Janesville, WI
I will second Timo's statement about the Toslink connectors being inferior to coaxial. I can't offer any opinion on AT&T optical, as I haven't tried them. There are numerous threads on this site covering this subject, and I suggest you search using “optical” to find and read some other opinions as well.

My opinion, for what it’s worth.
Do not run your video signal through the reciever it degrades it in every way, resolution, clairity etc. You also have to buy a second cable, so it is much better to run it straight to the tv