Home theatre and Musical Experience

Current system driven by Denon avr 2800 and does anadequate job for ht but only mediocre for music. Have been planning to add a power amp for the mains driven by the pre outs from the denon. Hoping to find the sound. Current system is muddy on music until I go to higher spl's. Want the dynamics and airiness that I am missing at lower spl's. Looking for what you would hear at a nice jazz club where the musical presence is there without the volume. Auditioned B&w naut805 and found the same thing so have turned to possible amp upgrade. Am I on the right track? Anyone gone through this upgrade and had success? Any amp suggestions? Feel sure this will lead to future upgrades just want to start where I will hear and feel a difference and go from there.
Thanks
Steve
scoly
Hi Steve,
I had the same situation 5 months ago when I had DENON AVR-1601 which was good in HT but very muddy in music. I tried to change speakers to NHT and B&W but no luck. I decided to go for separates starting from a new power-amp (EAD PowerMaster 500), a new pre/pro (Kinergetics Chiro C-802). The result was much more musical. Then , in search of musical sound, I a separate DACs and CD trasport into my system which is very satisfied. But, you know, before I got the right DAC for my system I bought 3 DACs (ADCOM GDA-600, Theta Pro BasicII, and EAD 700MKII) to test with my system. Furthermore that I bought a Camelot Dragon 5.1 Jitter reduction. Then finally, got a EAD TM Signature to replace my existing Pre/Proc, DACS, Transport, and Jitter Reducer.

I've been buying more than 20 equipments within 5 month period. I just want to tell you that I can't stop upgrading my system anymore. Everytime I upgrade and it sounds better, I never satisfied enough to stop upgrading. It seem to me that anything would be better if I keep upgrading. Just want to ask you if you sure to come this way?

In case you really want to upgrade you system. My suggestion: If your CD player is good enough ( I mean the internal DAC in your CD Player), buy a good integrated amp (Classe, Rotel, or NAD) for separate music listening. Doing this way will save you a lot of money from upgrading to separates. Or if you have money to spend and want real quality, go for separates. Good luck.

Supakit S.
So much info and so many different ways to go about it. With the budget I get to work with it will be a slow process. I suppose each step will be an upgrade and as long as I can see improvement there will be a lot of enjoyment. Today I think that the first will be a new amp that will run off the pre outs of the receiver for a while. Should improve the sound and will be able to get new speakers befor to long (possibly the magnepan mmg's). Have to decide between a 2, 4, or 5 channel but leaning to a 2 that will drive the mains. Considering the bryston 2bst, arragon 4004, but have also read great things about the anthem. Have considered the citation 7.1 that would be good later on but only if it is as musical as the others. The pre with ht pass through sound good too so may have to do a little research on pre's with this feature.
Thanks again for all the input. The help here offsets some of the frustration of being in a town with only 2 upperend stores. Even they don't handle any of the equiptment that I am considering.
Steve
This truly is a good thread. I posted something similar a while back with lesser results. It's good to see that the forum is both growing AND maintaining a high level of usable info. Kudos to all of you for helping out and sharing your experiences and knowledge.

Like many others here, i've tried to do a dual purpose system before and keep finding out just how poor most of the preamp / processors really sound on music. I REALLY found this out when i substituted one of my 2 channel preamps for the last HT processor that i had and was blown away. I would REALLY like to keep this preamp ( Marsh MSD P-2000) in the system and use an external processor, but the preamp has no processor loop and i can't find a simple way around this. As such, i keep coming back to checking into the Proceed pre / processor or the Adcom GFP-750 ( because it DOES have a processor loop ) but just haven't gotten around to it. I've got 7 channels of amplification just waiting to be kicked in the ass. Anybody have any suggestions ? Are you folks with the GFP-750 REALLY happy with them in terms of music performance ??? Anybody check into the Anthem pre / processor ??? Sean
>
Steve, this can be done but as mentioned above it is expensive to do, this is what I have come to experience. First of all I run Martin aerius i's which the cost of a good amp has made my journey a pricey one. I'm using a bat vk200 amp to drive those little bastards, but it has brought me pleasure. I also have a dc-1 that I do my 2 ch and ht with. The dc-1 does great with ht and pretty good with 2 ch, but I have realized to get what I want I need a bat tube pre the vk30, which has a pass thru for when you listen to ht. I have listened to my current setup with a bat 3i pre and it gave me a big, big smile. So to get the best of both worlds I will eventually own a pre for 2 ch and processor for ht. Like I said it does get expensive, but its probably do to my speakers being so picky. One day my audio heaven will come, anyone looking to donate a Bat vk30. You may find better luck starting with 2 ch and a pre that has the pass thru feature. I think its very hard to have both with just one pre. Good luck with your adventure. pete
Sean,

I don't have the GFP 750 in my system but have listened to it extensively in local audio emporia. It is good beyond all proportion to its cost. The Stereophile crew has it in the Class A category. Yes, I know the criticisms of that bunch, but they usually offer soundly conceived opinions and tell you how they got there.

In fact, I'm thinking of buying the 750 for a second system because of its price/performance ratio - off the scale. It is an incredible bargain.